Beengirl's 30g FOWLR starts!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Redid the rock today, like it better, more caves and hiding places. I'll probably fiddle with more though before I'm satisfied. Still lots if cycling time left. :)

image-2136377177.jpg

Been working on stock list for when it's ready. This is what I think we going to do:

1 Firefish
1 oscellaris clown
1 flame hawkfish
1 yellow head jawfish
1 half black angel (from 55gal tank)
Snails
Hermits

Anyone with experience with these guys see any problems with this list?

Beengirl said:
Redid the rock today, like it better, more caves and hiding places. I'll probably fiddle with more though before I'm satisfied. Still lots if cycling time left. :)

Been working on stock list for when it's ready. This is what I think we going to do:

1 Firefish
1 oscellaris clown
1 flame hawkfish
1 yellow head jawfish
1 half black angel (from 55gal tank)
Snails
Hermits

Anyone with experience with these guys see any problems with this list?

Oooh! I like those half blacks. They are pretty!!

I also like the new rockscape. :)

I like the half black too, the orange on him is really pretty, not a fish that I see in every tank. The bad part was he was chomping on several corals and they died. :( didn't want to get rid of him, so when we decided to change the 30g to SW, I decided to put him in there. Took all the rock down yesterday to catch him (that sucked, lol) and he's in qt tank till the 30g cycles. Just don't want him killing any more coral- its too expensive for it to be a snack for him.

You'll love the flame hawk! I've had one before and they are funny! LOL! They are very peaceful. I've heard that they can eat hermit crabs and snails as well as some ornamental shrimp. I never had an issue with mine nipping at my shrimp but that's not to say they won't. They also like lots of rock to perch on.

When I worked at a whole saler I came across one day in our shipment a large mantis shrimp. He was cool for awhile but started to beat on the tank so I harp get rid of him. :(. Def the most unique thing I have had.

image-3548589102.jpg

Fish madness said:
When I worked at a whole saler I came across one day in our shipment a large mantis shrimp. He was cool for awhile but started to beat on the tank so I harp get rid of him. :(. Def the most unique thing I have had.

I've seen pictures of those things, don't really get why someone would have something that will kill/eat every single thing that you put in the tank. How so you even clean the tank? Id be afraid to put my have in there! Maybe it's a guy thing? IDK. Some are colorful, but kinda creepy IMO. Hey, to each his own, I guess!! ;)

Beengirl said:
I've seen pictures of those things, don't really get why someone would have something that will kill/eat every single thing that you put in the tank. How so you even clean the tank? Id be afraid to put my have in there! Maybe it's a guy thing? IDK. Some are colorful, but kinda creepy IMO. Hey, to each his own, I guess!! ;)

^^^^ what she said!!! I'm SCURD of those and eels!

Beengirl said:

Well they are put in small tanks all by themselves so they dont eat things that they arent supposed to.... You clean it with an algae scrubber and im sure they hide once you put your hand in the tank. I think they are awesome

Day 4 of cycling, here's test results:
Ammo: 4
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 10

While cleaning out 55g canister today, placed some old filter media into 30g filter. Hopefully that will help with progress of cycle. It's coming along!! :)

Beengirl said:
Day 4 of cycling, here's test results:
Ammo: 4
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 10

While cleaning out 55g canister today, placed some old filter media into 30g filter. Hopefully that will help with progress of cycle. It's coming along!! :)

That should help! I'm excited for you!

Thanks! I'm excited too!!! :) went to store looking at fish for that tank today. Wanted to get some so badly, but didn't. Did get some zoos for the 55g though. Lol. Can't seem to get out of fush store without buying something. :)

Beengirl said:
Thanks! I'm excited too!!! :) went to store looking at fish for that tank today. Wanted to get some so badly, but didn't. Did get some zoos for the 55g though. Lol. Can't seem to get out of fush store without buying something. :)

I went looking for a fish for my pico! I've decided on a citrine goby. What color are the zoos? What fish did you see that you wanted the most today?

There was a really tiny oscellaris. He was so tiny and cute. Have a b/w in 55, but this was the regular orange one. He was maybe 3/4 of an inch. So cute!! I got a decent sized pink zoo, (lighting stinks on this pic- they're a really pretty pink colr)

image-3784161598.jpg

not sure of actual name of the others, but 1 has blue center with green edge, other has orange center with greenish edges. Couldn't get a pic of the blue ones tonight cuz they didn't open much before lights out. Here's the orange center ones, which are kinda open

image-3487800010.jpg

Gonna try to get pic of blu tomorrow.

Day 5 of cycling. Here's results:
Ammo : 1
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: 40

Is there a max high on nitrate during cycle? Theres no fish in there, just remember reading something about too high of nitrates will somehow stall the cycle. If so, what's that number?

Lol. Yeah I put my hand in the tank to clean. He was actually very docile and didn't go crazy. I've always had good responses with fish seeing me as the hand that feeds them so I've never been attacked. I guess I keep them week fed so they don't see my hand as food. Haha.

Day 6 of cycle:
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 5 (or so, 5 is highest mine reads)
Nitrate: 40

Can't believe ammo already went from 8 to 0!! Guess adding the filter media from my 55 really helped!! :)

Day 8 of cycle:
Ammo:0
Trites: 2
Trates: 40

Happy to see Trites are coming down!! Added small amount of ammonia. The ammonia I add in every day is all getting used up, so that's a great thing!!

Day 9
Ammo 0
Trites 0.25
Trates 20

I'm almost cycled!!! Hopefully just a few more days. ;)

Bearchumjs said:
You'll be cycled by tomorrow!! Get some water ready for your big pwc!

I hope so!! :) I don't think the dwarf angel likes the 10g QT he's been in for about a week. :( he hides all the time and he didn't used to when he was in the 55g. Feel bad for him. I'm off this weekend, so I'm hoping it'll be ready by then. Yea!!

Back
Top Bottom