Beengirl's 30g FOWLR starts!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a little update on the FOWLR. jawfish (Bubbles) and Firefish (pinky) are still peacefully sharing a burrow. The jawfish has crEated a large valley and hill near the opening cuz she keeps taking shells and sand from Everywhere and piling them around the burrow. But that's fine, cuz there no corals to bury. :) It's pretty cute, really.
We were at the LFS and saw a couple of red chromis, which I hadn't seen before. They were beautiful, but I couldn't find much info on them. We bought one. He's super bright red with a bright blue stripe. He's still being shy and races away rally fast from me, so can't get any good pic of mine, but here's a pic I found online of one exactly like him. He's really tiny, only about 1/2" from nose to tail. :)

image-4139614730.jpg
We added him yesterday, and he's already eaten brine and the NLS pellets. Daughter named him Freddy (as in Ready Freddy- cuz he's red). The fish all seem to get along with him fine, even the angel. :) haven't noticed any chasing or nipping at him. Hope he fares better than the clown goby! He was already in a tank at the LFS with a Firefish, clown and a coral beauty angel (mines a half-black angel), so he should be used to most of his tank mates type. Fingers crossed! :)
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

You have an awesome tank beengirl! That chromis is really cool looking. Glad to hear all your fish are doing well! :)

what type/brand of algae sheets do you feed your Half Black? I've been putting in a 3 inch sheet everyday but my Lemon Peel doesn't seem to pay attention to it.

what type/brand of algae sheets do you feed your Half Black? I've been putting in a 3 inch sheet everyday but my Lemon Peel doesn't seem to pay attention to it.

I use Ocean Nutrition with garlic. It's in there about 30 seconds and he attacks it. :)

Okay, I was under the impression that zebra hermits were supposed to be nicer than others and stay small-ish. My husband bought a turbo snail, which I have no interest in having, but I put in the FOWLR. I know that all crabs are opportunistic, but the turbo was not small at all, and the one zebra hermit killed the turbo and took his shell. There are LOTS of various sizes of shells around the tank, so it couldn't have been a need for the shell. And I thought they stayed small, but I apparently have the Arnold Schwarzenegger of zebra hermits cuz he's way bigger than the others. Haha. Was I misinformed about them staying small-ish?

Okay, I was under the impression that zebra hermits were supposed to be nicer than others and stay small-ish. My husband bought a turbo snail, which I have no interest in having, but I put in the FOWLR. I know that all crabs are opportunistic, but the turbo was not small at all, and the one zebra hermit killed the turbo and took his shell. There are LOTS of various sizes of shells around the tank, so it couldn't have been a need for the shell. And I thought they stayed small, but I apparently have the Arnold Schwarzenegger of zebra hermits cuz he's way bigger than the others. Haha. Was I misinformed about them staying small-ish?

Lol. I have no idea about the zebra hermits. But that's really funny.

even if they are more peaceful they still go on instinct when hunting a new home

hermits are funny if they find a shell they try it on if it don't fit right they try another almost like us trying on new shoes till they find the most comfortable one
I can have a 100 empty shells that don't mean it's going to use them all the time it's a hit or miss they might find one that seems better

Guess I should know by now that's its a crab-eat-snail world in SW. Lol
thanks for your input.

A few days ago I added a decorative pot to the FOWLR, just to add some color to the tank. Today it looks like the clown has decided to host it. :)

image-3090041635.jpg

Bought a flame scallop today. I'm a little apprehensive about this guy, but I'm giving it a go.

image-2747854073.jpg

the flame scallops are fragile keep a good eye on your parameters not letting them swing any
med flow moderate light brine shrimp I seen them fed with a syringe just don't force feed stay back about 3 inch
good luck oh keep it away from hermits or they'll eat him

Back
Top Bottom