Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not trying to get into doing
fishless cycling. I just want to take my time and get it done slowly.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You need an ammonia source to start the chain of "cycling". You can't generate nitrite without ammonia and you will never get nitrtaes without either of the other two.

Just throw some pure ammonia or a dead shrimp from the grocery store. That will be enogh to get the bacteria going. You will still have to add fish slowly when youre done, but they will be safe from any ammonia spikes.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aren't there a lot of water changes involved?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nope. you do one big water change after you cycle and then your done. After that you just do a pwc every week and go about your business. lol
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Basically the point is, you have to add some kind of ammonia source, or nothing much will happen and you'll start a fish-in cycle when you add fish. If you do add pure ammonia, make SURE it is in fact pure. I thought I had gotten pure ammo when I was cycling but didn't look at the ingredients and realized it had other things in it. Pure ammo shouldn't suds up when you shake it. Or of course you could go the shrimp route, or fish food. Lol
Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am just worried about all the water changes as mentioned in eco's fishless cycle, I am also concerned of doing something wrong and have to start over. By-the-way, my wife is already getting kind of yancy and would like to add some fish soon. I've got started going by the Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies Handbook. I just want to get it right the first time. I'm sorry for asking so many questions.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're going to have to get used to water changes, trust me. What kind of tank are you doing?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I doing a Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR), and I am freaking out!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you put fish in without cycling then you risk those fish and you will have to do ALOT of water changes, most likely every day. If you cycle without fish it will take even less time and you won't have to do many changes. Plus when you do put fish in they will live. same thing for corals, you need an ammonia free tank to keep these things alive. And unless you cycle and get those beneficial bacteria that eat the ammonia and convert it to nitrite and then convert to a more harmless chemical, nitrate. Thats what you do water changes for, to get the nitrates out. And to replenish the elements that the salt mix has in it.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is what it looks like right now. I'm building slowly because of finances.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120303_220803.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	80466

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com