Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. Please understand I'm very inquisitive. I just used the Tetra EasyStrips and it showed my nitrates and nitrites off the charts. I heard that they were not as reliable as the API Test Kit.

Test strips suck! A high quality liquid test kit is a must. I use API which is okay. But I've heard salifert are awesome.

Ok. Thx I have a good question. Since the ammonia is being devoured quickly, like it's going from 4ppm to. 25ppm in approximately 4 hours so, do I need to be getting up in the middle of the night to douse every 4 hours?

I sure hope so. One more question. How long can my tank go without attention during these beginning stages?

If it does what's the worst case scenario if I can't get to it before things start heading south?

You might lose some bacteria. I don't think it's a big deal unless they don't have ammonia for a decent amount of time

These are my numbers as of today, 03/14/2012

Temperature: 86 F
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.023 SG
Nitrate: 20 mg/l
Nitrite: 5.0 mg/l
Ammonia: 0 mg/l

I'm cycling my tank and bacteria thrives under warmer conditions. When I get my fish they will be in cooler water. If I leave it like that they will be in a sauna.

sanchezkk said:
I'm cycling my tank and bacteria thrives under warmer conditions. When I get my fish they will be in cooler water. If I leave it like that they will be in a sauna.

I agree about the sauna comment. Just didn't run my temp that high during the cycle so was wondering. Not sure 6 to 8 degrees makes that much of a difference on bacteria production (microbiologist by profession). Most bacteria thrive between 77 and 104F. Maybe if you jacked the heat up to 100F.

sanchezkk said:
Also, are you already cycled?

Yes. Finished my cycle in September. I was just saying that if you left the temp between 78F and 80F you would probably cycle the same as your current temp, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom