Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question Beginner

What chemicals do I need to check for when I am starting a saltwater aquarium? I am using the API Test Kit. So far I've tested for Nitrates, Nitrites, pH, and Ammonia. Are those the basic things I need to monitor for a beginning cycling FOWLR tank?

55g Reef Setup: 1 Baby Bangaii Cardinal,2 Percula Clownfish,2 Nass Snails,5 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, 1, 1 Turbine Snail,Hollywood Stunner Chalice frags,1 small Kenya Tree Coral,1 Toadstool,3 types of Mushroom,1 Yellow Sponge, and 1 Firefish.
sanchezkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The idea is to have no ammonia, no nitrites, controllable nitrates below 15 for fish only no corals, PH >8 <8.4 salinity of 1.023 temp 25C these are very basic params

Ph - 8.4, Alk - 4.3 Meq, Cal - 450, Mag - 1340
My Little Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Little Ocean
The idea is to have no ammonia, no nitrites, controllable nitrates below 15 for fish only no corals, PH >8 <8.4 salinity of 1.023 temp 25C these are very basic params
Thanks for the reply
55g Reef Setup: 1 Baby Bangaii Cardinal,2 Percula Clownfish,2 Nass Snails,5 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, 1, 1 Turbine Snail,Hollywood Stunner Chalice frags,1 small Kenya Tree Coral,1 Toadstool,3 types of Mushroom,1 Yellow Sponge, and 1 Firefish.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I could save you some tests. Just check for ammonia until you don't have any. Then check for nitrites until you don't have any. Then check all 3 - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and do a large pwc.

pH will remain pretty constant but you want to check periodically to see if there's a low reading. if so do a pwc to replenish the buffers.

your temp can be higher during cycling - 82-83F
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why would you recommend the temperature to be higher?

I'm checking the ammonia levels every 2 days and everything else is being checked weekly, according to the API testing kit instructions.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just test for ammonia just to start with, what are you using for the ammonia source?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nothing just doing a normal slow cycle with no additives to rush it.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nothing? You need ammonia to start a cycle like a dead shrimp or adding ammonia to the tank otherwise when you think your finished and you add a fish and it creates ammonia (poop) then you will have another cycle not good as fish can't handle ammonia and nitrite
Old 03-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Little Ocean
Nothing? You need ammonia to start a cycle like a dead shrimp or adding ammonia to the tank otherwise when you think your finished and you add a fish and it creates ammonia (poop) then you will have another cycle not good as fish can't handle ammonia and nitrite
Agreed. No ammonia source = no nitrogen cycle. And you certainly don't want to start one with the addition of your fish. Both inhumane and costly.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmmm. Interesting

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com