Beginner Aquarium Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Social_d87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im starting a 29g saltwater tank, now thinking about doing some anemones and im wondering how many fish i can keep in it along with some inverts. Also is there any type of medium fish i can comfortably keep. How would i properly cycle my tank? Thanks for all the help

Last edited:
Cycle your salt tank

liveaquaria.com gives a recommended tank size for all their fish. There are a ton of fish that need about a 30 gal tank that you could keep. The also give some info on aggression and if it is reef safe. If you click on compatibility they have a very handy chart.

Not sure on the number of fish. depends on the bioload your tank can handle and just space in general. I'll let someone who knows more take that one.

What I have found is most of the more aggressive fish and medium size fish need a 75gallon or larger tank. What do you think about clownfish? They are hardy and a good beginner fish plus a lot of fun to watch and don't get too big. They also don't dart off very fast they just kinda wiggle around so they don't need such a big tank. And take your time with the cycle control your urge to buy fish right away it is really hard to look at a lifeless tank and easy to jump the gun. 6-8 weeks is a good time frame for a tank to cycle gives plenty of time for research and planning.

I love clown fish lol. Right now for a setup i have a 350 Bio-wheel filter and a 100wat heater. As for live rock how much should i add.

about 1lb-2lbs per gallon for live rock.. also have live sand 1lb per gallon. clownfish would be a great start and i would recommend them.. when you set your tank up please, i stress this because its a fatal mistake... do not rush!!! patience is key, take your time and add slowly.. i know it seems stupid but when you think your tank is fully cycled, wait another 2 weeks to make sure..

Welcome, if you cycle you tank correctly and have plenty of lr, and maybe a skimmer you can have a healthy tank with lots of life. I started with a 29gal, had about 70lbs of fiji lr but no skimmer, over a period of 1 year i slowly worked my self to this list:

2 True percs(mated pair)
1 6-Line Wrassel
1 Pigmy angel fish (cherub)

3 peppermint shrimps and a skunk cleaner

Also a small clean up crew, snails/hermits/ brittle star.

I had no problem and everyone was happy, my water was great as long as i keeped up with the biweekly waters changes.

only advice is don't get a brittle star for a 29gal, mine did give me some trouble, long story.

Good luck
Leo

What type of sea anemones, corals and could i have in my tank? By the way thanks to all that are helping me do this the right way its been a lot of help. As for fish so far in the 29gal i was thinking 2 clowns, dwarf angel,Mandarin Dragonet, and some inverts.

Last edited:
No. Too many fish. Even though FloridaNewbie appears to have got away with it, I think they just got lucky because that's a lot of fish for a 29g. Please research the Mandarins before purchasing one. They require a mature, large tank, with lots of live copepods and other critters to really survive. Something a 29g tank just can't sustain, even if mature.

If you plan on corals, be aware that all the dwarf angels *may* nip at corals. It seems to get down to the personality of the individual fish. You may get lucky, you may not. Anemones are also not advised for tanks that are less than 9-12 months old, so that the water quality is steady and consistent. What corals and anemones you can have in your tank really depends on what your lighting will be... and vice versa! If you haven't bought lighting yet, I guess the real question is "What corals do you WANT to keep?"

About how many fish will i be able to keep in there after a while? i Love all types of salt water fish so i don't have to limit myself. As for the coral and anemones im still iffy about them still. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I really depends on the fish, and your filtration. If you put a fair amount of live rock in there (40-50 lbs or so) and use a skimmer, you can probably get away with pushing the limits a bit more on fish than if you just stick with the Biowheel and no skimmer. Either way you go, you'd probably be fine with a couple clowns and another small fish like a firefish or goby.

The "inch/gallon" rule for fish can give you a rough guesstimate of how many fish you can stock, but is really subjective. Some fish are small, but messy eaters and messy poopers, which will obviously have more impact on water quality than the same size fish that doesn't eat or poop as much. With that said though, the "old" rule of thumb was 1 inch of adult fish size (not the size your fish is now) per 5 gallons of tank. I've seen other authors that talk about 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons of tank size. So I guess somewhere in between there is a good starting point. But again... it's not a good formula because some fish just need a bigger environment than others, regardless of size.

Coming up with a stocking list seems like it should be easy, but it takes a lot of research and time. But I found it kind of fun. Learned all about a bunch of fish that I never knew anything about. I think my original list changed about 3-4 times over the 3-4 months I was researching! And then it changed a couple more times as I started to stock my tank!

Thanks that really helps im looking into skimmers right now do you think i will need a power head? Also what type of substrate should i use since its a 29gal i heard that the type of substrate limits the type of fish/invets. you could have if so you anyone recomend any. Sorry for all the question i just want to do this the right way the first time and not hurt any of the fish in the proccess.

You could go bare bottom, or use a shallow (1" - 3") sand bed. Crushed coral traps uneaten food and waste which turns into nitrate. That's bad for corals.

The clowns would be a great start. Not really aggresive and real great fish. The Dwarf angel is a little touchy subject. Most dwarf angels will be at least 4' when adult, or more. The one i had
Pygmy Angelfish

This pigmy will go up to 3'. And they usually come very small, unlike others Dwarfs that are usually bigger when u see them at the lfs. Plus most drawf angels are aggressive, which means it has to be your LAST fish to be put in.

Yes you should get at least 1 powerhead in there, maybe even 2 smaller ones.

Do you guys know which type of live sand i should buy, any brands or types better than others? Also is it better to buy a bag of ocean salt or get gallons of ocean water at my local lfs?

Is the Aqua Clear Power Head 30, 174 GPH a good power head to use on my 29gal? Could i just do with just one becasue its a smaller tank?

Tomorrow i will start the cycling process im using the shrimp method to cycle my tank everyone wish me luck lol:bowl:

Have you thought about cycling your tank with uncured live rock. The dead stuff on the rock is a great ammonia source.

Advice would be talk about everything you decide to do on the site here and research your decisions don't buy on impulse. I wish someone would have told me that in the beginning. (however I probably would not have listened)

Back
Top Bottom