beginner need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take a deep breath and just let everything settle. It will clear up. Give it time. Have you decided how you're going to cycle your tank. If you use the table shrimp- put it in a panty hose so you can get it out, strait ammonia ? I used a product called dr Tim's one and only. Cycle my 180 g in a couple of days. But it's expensive. It worked great. But I didn't have the time to do it the right way which can take up to 6 weeks.

I used Dr Tims one and only also, bought on Amazon with the ammonia not a bad price. Mine took 8 days to cycle. I tried the shrimp method first and was getting no ammonia readings even with live rock.

Dr Tim's is good stuff, took 3 days an had some damsels in my tank. Amazon seems like the best place to get it. I paid 38.00 $ shipped for 120g treatment

I have been looking at some alternatives to dr tims like the ATM colony or the API startsmart but I'm not sure they work as good

I would just dose with pure ammonia from ace hardware (make sure no bubbles when you shake it) or do the raw shrimp method. I would use and false additives. IMO. Only because I never used them myself.

Well its clearing up finally is amazing I'm so excited there's a couple worms I see getting moved around by the water movments. I did pick up a second power head its 950gph rated. Well ill keep yall updated

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130122_003212.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130122_003212.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 84
Glad the tank is clearing up! Have you decided what you're gonna use to cycle the tank? You haven't failed at anything. Get the tank cycling and you can add more base rock a little at a time. Rock is expensive. Base rock is less expensive. I would get the tank cycling and add more rock (as much or as little as you like the look of) as you go. Good luck!

This site is to help and encourage people who have questions/problems with their tanks. Constructive criticism is fine, but telling someone simply that they "failed" is not helpful.

Last edited:
Lol i did not not say he failed at anything, you need to lighten up a little bit there beengirl, if you can't have fun in this hobby it will kill ya. Have fun and get a sense of humor.

Bengirl is correct, telling a newbie he/she failed at anything will only discourage them from posting and asking questions in the future.

You might want to try reefrocks.net for dry rock. 50# shipped for $85. I bought 100# and seeded with 25# of live rock and Dr Tim's one and only worked out great.

Charlie: so have you decided on what ammonia source you're gonna use for the cycle?

Well I don't think I can make that one and only fit in my budget. So I'm going to try instant oceans bio-sprial. Its only about $25 for a 75 gallon dose.

Do have a few questions. Should I use any kinda of airation?

I'm going to buy a saltwater test kit. I liked api freshwater one and decided ill get the saltwater one. But should I get the marine and reef one. Only test nitrite ammo nitrate and ph. The reef one add. Hardness phosphate calcium an nitrate.

Well I don't think I can make that one and only fit in my budget. So I'm going to try instant oceans bio-sprial. Its only about $25 for a 75 gallon dose.

Do have a few questions. Should I use any kinda of airation?

I'm going to buy a saltwater test kit. I liked api freshwater one and decided ill get the saltwater one. But should I get the marine and reef one. Only test nitrite ammo nitrate and ph. The reef one add. Hardness phosphate calcium an nitrate.

For cycling, a cheap way is just to put a raw shrimp or piece of fish into a pantyhose or net and let it rot in the tank. Or you can use liquid ammonia, which smells better IMO. The ammonia is usually less than $5 at ACE hardware. Just make sure that when you shake the bottle, there are NO bubbles. If there are bubbles, then there are surfactants in it and you shouldn't use it. You just add a little ammonia, wait and hour for it mix and then test ammonia level. You'll want ammonia to get to at least 4ppm for a good strong cycle. If its not up to 4, then add a little more ammonia and retest, etc.

The Bio-spira IMO won't make the cycle go any faster.

For air exchange, just have one of your PHs aimed up and causing ripples on the water surface. No airstone of anything like that is needed.

API is okay for the cycle. I used it when I first started, have since switched to red sea tests. But API is ok. If you're planning on having corals, then get the reef kit. If no corals are planned, then the master set is fine. And if you don't plan on corals for a while yet, just get the master kit now and you can add the other tests at a later date.
And just so you know, for the API nitrate test, you need to divide the result by 4 to get the actual result. It tests for ALL nitrates, which most tests don't do. I was driving myself crazy when I used it, trying to get my nitrates down, when they actually weren't high at all.

Ok ill just get master test kit and I'm good on ripples then I've got tons lol I have the canister filters spay bar pointing upwards

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130122_121155.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130122_121155.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom