Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad the tank is clearing up! Have you decided what you're gonna use to cycle the tank? You haven't failed at anything. Get the tank cycling and you can add more base rock a little at a time. Rock is expensive. Base rock is less expensive. I would get the tank cycling and add more rock (as much or as little as you like the look of) as you go. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

This site is to help and encourage people who have questions/problems with their tanks. Constructive criticism is fine, but telling someone simply that they "failed" is not helpful.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol i did not not say he failed at anything, you need to lighten up a little bit there beengirl, if you can't have fun in this hobby it will kill ya. Have fun and get a sense of humor.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmann View Post
Your rock setup is a fail. Lol
Really? I think you did say it, And then laughed.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bengirl is correct, telling a newbie he/she failed at anything will only discourage them from posting and asking questions in the future.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist

You might want to try reefrocks.net for dry rock. 50# shipped for $85. I bought 100# and seeded with 25# of live rock and Dr Tim's one and only worked out great.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Charlie: so have you decided on what ammonia source you're gonna use for the cycle?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I don't think I can make that one and only fit in my budget. So I'm going to try instant oceans bio-sprial. Its only about $25 for a 75 gallon dose.

Do have a few questions. Should I use any kinda of airation?

I'm going to buy a saltwater test kit. I liked api freshwater one and decided ill get the saltwater one. But should I get the marine and reef one. Only test nitrite ammo nitrate and ph. The reef one add. Hardness phosphate calcium an nitrate.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieweaver21 View Post
Well I don't think I can make that one and only fit in my budget. So I'm going to try instant oceans bio-sprial. Its only about $25 for a 75 gallon dose.

Do have a few questions. Should I use any kinda of airation?

I'm going to buy a saltwater test kit. I liked api freshwater one and decided ill get the saltwater one. But should I get the marine and reef one. Only test nitrite ammo nitrate and ph. The reef one add. Hardness phosphate calcium an nitrate.
For cycling, a cheap way is just to put a raw shrimp or piece of fish into a pantyhose or net and let it rot in the tank. Or you can use liquid ammonia, which smells better IMO. The ammonia is usually less than $5 at ACE hardware. Just make sure that when you shake the bottle, there are NO bubbles. If there are bubbles, then there are surfactants in it and you shouldn't use it. You just add a little ammonia, wait and hour for it mix and then test ammonia level. You'll want ammonia to get to at least 4ppm for a good strong cycle. If its not up to 4, then add a little more ammonia and retest, etc.

The Bio-spira IMO won't make the cycle go any faster.

For air exchange, just have one of your PHs aimed up and causing ripples on the water surface. No airstone of anything like that is needed.

API is okay for the cycle. I used it when I first started, have since switched to red sea tests. But API is ok. If you're planning on having corals, then get the reef kit. If no corals are planned, then the master set is fine. And if you don't plan on corals for a while yet, just get the master kit now and you can add the other tests at a later date.
And just so you know, for the API nitrate test, you need to divide the result by 4 to get the actual result. It tests for ALL nitrates, which most tests don't do. I was driving myself crazy when I used it, trying to get my nitrates down, when they actually weren't high at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok ill just get master test kit and I'm good on ripples then I've got tons lol I have the canister filters spay bar pointing upwards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130122_121155.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	146260  

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com