Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I am doing a fish in cycle. I've don't this with all my freshwater tanks from 29 gallons to 75 and never lost a fish. I've actally only lost one fish and that's because I came home and found him on the floor Ive been seeing a lot if people dont like this way. But I'm a stay at home dad that babysittes some other kids so I amost never leave the house and an always watch the tank.

I will be getting another 35 pounds or so of live rock later today.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's hard to tell but almost looks like you have nitrates as well as ammonia. I have trouble in person with the colors myself. Lol but when you do a fish in cycle the fish suffer from the ammonia in the tank. It's like us breathing in nothing but smoke from a house fire.. Seems to be going well though

Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I thought the same thing seems to be nitrates and could be ammo too. But fish seek fine I went with 3 damsel. Very small and will make ammo levels go up very slow so I can keep up with everything for next few days Ill test 3 times a day will do this
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hope you plan on keeping the damsels, they are almost impossible to catch and are one of the most aggressive fish out there. They limit what you can put in the tank.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB View Post
How is the rock that reef rock supplies. I was going to look into purchasing 100 lbs. this week? Patience is the key when setting up a new tank. I have had mine up and running for 6 months and am still having to deal with my lack of patience. It'll all come together tho! Don't get discouraged.
Reefrocks is pretty nice, I did 100#'s. Shipping is fast. You just need to rinse them off or you'll have a nice dusty film on the surface of the water. Very porous
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Regular

So did another water test and still don't make since I gues it possible but I am seeing about 10ppm of nitrates and zero of everything else not sure if this is because of the live rock and live sand and luck lol or if I'm testing wrong. Or maybe there was bacteria transfer from the freshwater tank that I transfer out of it or maybe the caister filter that cam from the freshwater tank to. Is it the same bacteria in fresh and salt?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its different bacteria, so it was not a transfer thing.

It's hard to tell from my phone, but that test you posted almost looked like all zeros to me. When did you add the damsels? It will take a while for the ammonia to rise.

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com