Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I plan on getting rid of my dammels soon and I'm on the hunt of a cheap skimmer for my tank

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirt View Post
I plan on getting rid of my dammels soon and I'm on the hunt of a cheap skimmer for my tank
I paid $100 total for my 75 gal tank, stand, coralife light, sump, protein skimmer, live rock, sand and stock. I was looking at Craigslist last night... TONS of equipment there! Good luck!! Maybe even check w/ aquarium store for used equipment that they may not advertise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1724884788.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	178072
Haven't finished smoothing out the background yet.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check on craiglist everyday. You will get lucky. You can also you tube a diy skimmer. You just need a water pump, air pump, and a wood stone to create fine bubbles. We are strapped for cash so dont feel bad cause you cant afford a skimmer. Ebay has skimmers as well
Old 06-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

The issue that I see is that even if you buy a tank "at least double", you are still at around 90 gallons. That would finally work for the Foxface (needs 75g min) and Flame Angel (Dwarf Angels need 75g+, not 40g), but your Tangs need a six foot tank for proper swimming area. They will be stressed with less, which opens fish (especially Tangs) up to stuff like Ich. Porcupine Puffers need minimum 180g, your Clown Trigger will need 300g (they get over a foot long).

If this tank is kept as-is, it's kind of a game to see what happens first...Trigger goes ballistic and takes out tankmates (damsels could very well do the same) or fish come down with disease due to stress and/or tank crashes due to improper filtration.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want a cheap protein skimmer, you can just build one. I don't know how to repost a thread, but you can check out my build in my profile or DIY section. I built a 5 foot skimmer under $60 including the pump. It has pretty good detail in how to do it, but if you have questions, feel free to ask. It works great for my tank and can be modified for whatever size tank you want it for.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
The issue that I see is that even if you buy a tank "at least double", you are still at around 90 gallons. That would finally work for the Foxface (needs 75g min) and Flame Angel (Dwarf Angels need 75g+, not 40g), but your Tangs need a six foot tank for proper swimming area. They will be stressed with less, which opens fish (especially Tangs) up to stuff like Ich. Porcupine Puffers need minimum 180g, your Clown Trigger will need 300g (they get over a foot long).

If this tank is kept as-is, it's kind of a game to see what happens first...Trigger goes ballistic and takes out tankmates (damsels could very well do the same) or fish come down with disease due to stress and/or tank crashes due to improper filtration.
All this is true. (and I think your trigger ate your crab). I am not sure why your friend would sell you those fish, also your puffer can end up releasing toxins into your water. Do lots of research so you can make the best choices for you and your pets.

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com