Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Beginner need help!!!!

Alright guys I've had my tank for a couple months now I cycled the tank with 4 dammels. And 12lbs of live rock. They finished the job and the tank cycled so I added 4 fish a porcupine puffer ,yellow tank, fox face and another fish it's black and yellow with white spots (supposed to have the spots) I bought all the fish as youngings except the dammels. Brown alge grew on the tank and sand so I have 4 snails and 4 hermit crabs I also bought 1 clown fish and a blue tang (Doriy) lol it's running great right now it's all amazing my puffer does or did chase my clown around and tried to get him but couldn't...like I said I have all my fish as babies there all small compared to there adult size.

It's a 55 gal tank with a canister filter

I really need advice from anyone please!!!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Here's a couple pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1394128981.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	177888   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1248476164.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	177889  

Name:	image-3618060635.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	177890   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3605096570.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	177891  

Name:	image-405601324.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	177892   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1117047968.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	177893  

Name:	image-17037021.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	177894   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2513313345.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	177895  

Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats alot of fish to add at one time. You need to add fish slowly so your bacteria can catch up and colonize enough to keep your ammonia and nitrite in check. Yellow tang in a 55 gallon is a no no. I learned the hard way and cause the tang to be un happy, making it vulnerable to disease.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budda619 View Post
Thats alot of fish to add at one time. You need to add fish slowly so your bacteria can catch up and colonize enough to keep your ammonia and nitrite in check. Yellow tang in a 55 gallon is a no no. I learned the hard way and cause the tang to be un happy, making it vulnerable to disease.
Really? The yellow tang my lfs said its perfect for my tank? But I'm open to anything right now I just tested my water once again and the
Ph is 7.8
Ammonia is 0.25
Nitrite is 0.25
Nitrate is 40 ppm
This all raised basically over night cause I tested it yesterday how do I change this
Old 06-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Doing water changes is your best bet, until your nitrifying bacteria can catch up with your ammonia. Just keep it very low. Ammonia is more toxic than nitrite and way more than nitrate. I believe there are supplements you can use to help your bacteria multiply, but am not a expert at that so i cant give you feedback on that.

Even though your fish is a juvy does not mean it needs less space than an adult tang. I had a two inch yellow tang in my 30 gallon. It started getting ich and fin rot. I traded him in at my lfs because its not fair he has to go through it because i wanted a good looking fish. I had a blue tang i traded as well.

I like you added 4 fish at once to causing a huge bioload. Consistent water changes, daily water tests help me beat my ammonia spike. I just have issue with nitrates atm but thats a different story lol
Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budda619 View Post
Doing water changes is your best bet, until your nitrifying bacteria can catch up with your ammonia. Just keep it very low. Ammonia is more toxic than nitrite and way more than nitrate. I believe there are supplements you can use to help your bacteria multiply, but am not a expert at that so i cant give you feedback on that.

Even though your fish is a juvy does not mean it needs less space than an adult tang. I had a two inch yellow tang in my 30 gallon. It started getting ich and fin rot. I traded him in at my lfs because its not fair he has to go through it because i wanted a good looking fish. I had a blue tang i traded as well.

I like you added 4 fish at once to causing a huge bioload. Consistent water changes, daily water tests help me beat my ammonia spike. I just have issue with nitrates atm but thats a different story lol
Haha I'm going to my lfs now to see what I can do to get it down but I really appreciate what you've said so far share anything you can to help me out please lol
Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just sharing from my experience and my mistakes
Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Porcupine puffer get up to 12 inches or so full grown so you will need to rehome him. Do you have a skimmer? What does your maintenance schedule look like?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would really encourage you to return the tangs, puffer, and fox face. They really do need larger tanks.

Have you thought about a flame angel or some gobies? There are very cool fish out there that will work just fine for your size tank.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd also advise you to invest in some additional dry rock (or live rock you are SURE has cured) to add some more cover for your fish. It looks like you have a large rock in one corner and a small pile of smal rock in the other. Most reef fish like to have cover, and it generally work opposite of what you might think: lots of cover - the fish tend to stay out (presumably because they feel more secire); little cover - the fish hang around the cover and often squabble over whose hole it is to hide in.

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com