Beginner needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jones1483

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75 gal tank with base rock and a 1/2 to 3/4 inch sand bed. The tank is filled with water and I have tested the salinity and it is around 1.022. I still have a sandy dusty cloud in my water and am waiting for it to settle before I throw a cocktail shrimp in my tank. When I put the shrimp in how long do I wait before I start running the test on the water? Also while cycling the tank what all equipment should I be running? I have a circulator, two heaters, protein skimmer and an old fluval 404 filter. I would also like some advice on what chemicals I should add to the filter. I was thinking of atleast carbon but didnt know what else I should add. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You can throw your shrimp in even though your sand hasn't settled. After throwing it in, give it a day or 2 and start testing to see where you are at.

For what you should run while cycling, I would run it all except the skimmer. The only reason for running the filter is that it will give you another place for bacteria to grow. I would only run carbon with the filter, you wont need chemicals. They usually only mask an issue rather than solve it.

Thanks sniperhank, another question, I use two 200W heaters had them set for 78 degrees which the tank had reached that temperature I then turned on my skimmer and the temperature dropped to 71 degrees so I shut the skimmer off. Do i need to set the heater to like 82 and run my skimmer and filter to see how far the temperature will drop then adjust the heater accordingly?

Back
Top Bottom