Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Beginner SW Tank

I finally got to put fish in my tank yesterday after letting my tank cycle for a month. I bought 2 damsels (blue & pink) in there and was planning on getting 2 more tonight. My tank is 75 gallons and since they are so small I wanted to just add 2 more. Is this a good idea? Or is 2 damsels enough? I know their aggressive so I didn't know if having 4 damsels would come back to haunt me when I add more fish in a few weeks. Thanks

Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #2

I started out with 2 Damsels. One was great, real friendly and loved to build walls with the smaller rocks.

The other was a real demon. Once I started adding in some more fish he would attack them and the other Damsel. He took over the whole tank and would only let the other fish hang out in the front left corner at the bottom.

I had to get rid of that one. Took it back to the lfs.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi Mitch, welcome to the forums!

I think you'll find mostly the same opinions on the damsels. Pretty but mean little buggers. I avoided them entirely to avoid having to remove it one day LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #4

Oh wow. Yeah everyone kept telling me to start out with damsels for the first few weeks, but I didn't know they were aggressive until I bought them. Are there any other cheap fish that would get along with the damsels until I start to put more expensive fish in there? Or should I just wait a few weeks and then add more fish?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldn't put fish in there just for the sake of putting fish in LOL. i would stock slowly and deliberately, once you get enough fish that's it so make sure they count.

I wouldn't automatically assume the damsels will be an issue, but it's the most likely outcome. Maybe yours will get along with others, some have them and they aren't evil.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #6

Ok thanks. I'll just wait it out. I know that patience is an important thing to have with aquariums. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I prefer to go with clown fishes, are harder and less aggressive (try to have pairs), this only if you have your 4 cero's in all your parameters!! The best, try a fish less cycle, in case that your tank is not cycled.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have two damsels,a blue(devil)and a neon velvet the blue one is mean with my fire fish other than that he don't bother my clowns or anything else.i had a yellow tail blue damsel i gave back to the pet store.it gave seven of my fish the r.i.p
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 AM   #9

I let my tank cycle for 4 weeks. I added 2 damsels (blue and pink) Sunday. And 2 green Chromis Monday. So far so good. I was told to get between 4-6 small fish to get the ammonia and stuff started. In about 2 weeks I'm planning on putting in some more expensive fish
Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_W View Post
I let my tank cycle for 4 weeks. I added 2 damsels (blue and pink) Sunday. And 2 green Chromis Monday. So far so good. I was told to get between 4-6 small fish to get the ammonia and stuff started. In about 2 weeks I'm planning on putting in some more expensive fish
After reading this, I thought you weren't cycled yet, but checked the first post and saw that you already did . Do you mean for the bio filter to catch up to the amount of waste produced by your fish?

Tags
beginner, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com