Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Beginner to saltwater aquariums

Absolutely not! I made my sump for my 40 breeder out of a 20 long and just had 4 baffles made for it. I then siliconed them in place. Cost me probably $60-80 to make the thing. Here's some pics of my sump and you can kinda see how the baffles were put inClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	294973Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	294974Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	294975

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

That seems like a great deal regardless of wether it holds water or not. .5 inch glass is very expensive and will not bust on you anytime soon. Like any hobby you get in what you put out. You can find great used equipment on Craigslist. I would just go with a skimmer and GFO/Carbon reactor in the sump and a Jeabo return pump. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #23
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The sump on my system is a modified 20 long as well. But with that said, more is always better. Something like this would be just as effective.
https://jet.com/product/detail/fc527...a:2&code=PLA15
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the responses guys! I was thinking along those lines using a old tank to build a sump. Again, I was slightly confused with what I needed to incorporate. I'm
Going to research some more today and maybe It will start to
Click a little better.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Absolutely not! I made my sump for my 40 breeder out of a 20 long and just had 4 baffles made for it. I then siliconed them in place. Cost me probably $60-80 to make the thing. Here's some pics of my sump and you can kinda see how the baffles were put inAttachment 294973Attachment 294974Attachment 294975

That exactly what I'm planning as of now. I'm planning having my inlet discharge into a sock filter then draining into the protein skimmer side, apply baffles identical to your, have the middle section as a refugium then the return. Not sure about biological media aside from the refugium. Thinking carbon for sure. How I tie all of that in, I have no clue hahaha. I'm just going to plan it and make it happen before silicone anything into my sump.

Iv decided to go with 3 of the 165 W LED lights they sell on eBay. They are Chinese but from what I have read, it's a great bang for the buck. For the skimmer I decided to do the aquamaxx ConeS Q-2. These decisions were discussed with the guy at Mad Hatters Reef, so hopefully it will all do me well.

So, that's where I'm at haha. Going
To get the tank Monday. Then starting on the stand soon after.

I can't decide if I want to attempt to have the tank drilled.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome skimmer choice. What coral do you intend to keep? Also do you plan on purchasing an RODI unit? I would love to see a full equipment list so we can see if you are missing anything.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanetweedz View Post
Awesome skimmer choice. What coral do you intend to keep? Also do you plan on purchasing an RODI unit? I would love to see a full equipment list so we can see if you are missing anything.

Yes, a RO/DI unit is on the list. I will put you together an equipment list soon as I can. Still lots of things I need to decide on.

I do plan to make it a reef tank. Idk much about the different types, so I will prob decide that based on the light setup. I'm going to do fish only and live rock for awhile after everything cycles. I want the tank to get well established before I do corals. Way to expensive for me to take a chance on losing.

When I say cycle I mean without fish in it lol. Just the rocks then when my water Chem gets balanced add some fish.

As of now I want some inverts and clown fish. That's about as far as iv thought on fish.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanetweedz View Post
Ok, this is what iv got so far. Bare with me on this. Iv also included prices! When I say got, I mean in a cart online lol not buying anything until I get the tank to inspect.

- 100 gallon long 72x18x18, .5 inch thick glass awuarium = $125

-aquatic life RO buddies 4 stage with DI attachment 50gpd = $86.87

-well Par 3 pcs 165 W LED = $318.69

-Aquamaxx ConeS Q2 in sump skimmer =$354.95

- worldwide imports Atlantic coral rock 40lb x 2 = 80lb = $98.50

- premium Caribbean 10lb live rock = $49

- Caribbean Sea agronite reef sand 40lb x 2 = 80lb =$103

-30lb live sand pure white agronite Chrystal reef brand 30lb x 2 = 60lb = $80

-instant ocean sea salt 200 gallon = $46.33

-agriculture solutions salinity refractometer =$20.94

-Sun sun JVP-102 1300 GPH WaveMaker powerheads (2-pack)= $15.20

With the sump I'm looking for a cheap 30ish gallon aquarium.
Still designing it. I seen where u advice some gfo and or carbon reactors. How do u tie them into a sump? And is a reactor necessary or can u just design the sump to pass through activated carbon and serve the same purpose.

So, that's it as of now. Thoughts?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would honestly lose the sunsun wavemakers. I had 2 of the 530gph ones on my 29gal. They are dirt cheap and really aren't worth it. I would spring for 2 controllable ones. I think jaboe or something like that makes controllable ones that are fairly cheap and put out a lot of flow.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Jaebos are pretty good bang for your buck for "cheaper" powerheads! I have a smaller one on my 20 and it does some work. You're probably still looking at close to $100 for 2 bigger ones for your tank but that's fairly cheap for that size tank. Compared to like 2 vortech that could cost you close to a $1000 lol(even though vortechs are the best)

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, ate, beginner, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com