Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd recommend a stronger ro unit too, 50 gpd is gonna make it tough for you to do emergency wcs. It'll take about an hour to make a little over a gallon

Old 02-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Jaebos are pretty good bang for your buck for "cheaper" powerheads! I have a smaller one on my 20 and it does some work. You're probably still looking at close to $100 for 2 bigger ones for your tank but that's fairly cheap for that size tank. Compared to like 2 vortech that could cost you close to a $1000 lol(even though vortechs are the best)
I was thinking vortechs in my head haha. But I figured those were a bit of a jump from the 15$ sunsuns'. I put a mp10 on mine and got rid of the sunsuns' I will never buy anything but vortech ever again.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEaquarium06 View Post
I would honestly lose the sunsun wavemakers. I had 2 of the 530gph ones on my 29gal. They are dirt cheap and really aren't worth it. I would spring for 2 controllable ones. I think jaboe or something like that makes controllable ones that are fairly cheap and put out a lot of flow.
Yeah, I was hesitant on the sunsun. I did get one of their canister filters and it's great. I researched the powerheads and had mixed reviews. Most everyone had no problem with how they worked but a few had experienced with wiring issues electrocuting fish, but that was only a few. I will check out some of the others u proposed.

So, my boss has a 55 gallon he will give me. It needs prayer but it doesn't leak and fully functional. I know bigger is better with a sump, but is that to big?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another question, another reef guy I had talked to pushed this big apex thing on me. Allows u to control everything wireless with your phone. Looks sweet but also $800 lol product pusher it looks like, but he has been helpful so, I get it with sponsorships and stuff. Will any type powerstrip work to install under your tank for all the gadgets to be plugged into?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

An apex is not needed but will be helpful in the long run. 55 sounds like a good sump size to me. I also recommend jeabo wavemakers
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanetweedz View Post
An apex is not needed but will be helpful in the long run. 55 sounds like a good sump size to me. I also recommend jeabo wavemakers
The apex looked awesome, but way to expensive for my purposes. Anything cheaper? I really don't need a thermometer or any probes bc I'm very relegious with water testing. I work as an ecologist, so iv kinda got that stuff programmed into my blood at this point.

Another option for power supply that will allow u to run lights on timers, etc? For much cheaper?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #37
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You don't need a controller, plain and simple. They can be nice, but not necessary.
You are looking for something that will put lights on a timer? Even places like walmart carry those dirt cheap timers you plug right into. I have them all over on things like my algae turf scrubber.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You don't need a controller, plain and simple. They can be nice, but not necessary.
You are looking for something that will put lights on a timer? Even places like walmart carry those dirt cheap timers you plug right into. I have them all over on things like my algae turf scrubber.
Good, bc I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on a glorified powerstrip lol. The lights I'm getting come with a remote and built in timer. Again, I watched some reviews online and people seemed to be blown away with the quality at the price point. On my planted tank I do a custom 27/7 mode. I like the simulation of dusk and dawn and I believe the fish like it as well. It's awesome watching them. Like stationary with moonlight and when the lights slowly come on they slowly Start moving. Lol kinda like me in the morning. I want to set something similar up with my saltwater tank. Just as natural as I can possibly make it.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Been at it again researching. If the tank allows I believe I'm going to go with the Herbie method on the overflow. I choose this bc of pros and cons iv found with it and the method where the overflow comes from the bottom of the tank. I like the idea from the bottom bc u can put the tank directly against the wall. However, I could understand how you could apply your return without having plumping behind the tank? Unless u also go from the bottom bit this would create another void area within the tank for the weir. I don't want to reduce eliminating tank space for inhabitants as much as possible. So, bc of that iv decided herbie.

The sump is going to be a 55 gallon tank. My tentative plans are having the overflow enter a camber with biological media (bio balls or something similar, then travel under a baffle into the skimmer chamber. These will be across from one another if room permits, if not I might try to tower the bio ball chamber, again of room permits. The a series of baffles leading into the refugium then into the intake pump chamber. Hopefully be able to add reactors as needed when I do coral or if I have issues.

From what iv read on plumping I'm going to use union fittings every chance possible.

Am I on the right track?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #40
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You don't want to have everything plumbed at the bottom of the tank. Besides the bottom pane being tempered glass and a pain to drill, if there was a power issue or something similar all of the water will drain out of the tank. Compare this to having the overflow out the back or sides of the tank, where once the water level drops below the overflow there is no longer any loss of water.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, ate, beginner, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com