Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Beginner to saltwater aquariums

I recently setup my first planted freshwater aquarium. So far everything is going great thanks to many members of this forum. Iv always wanted a saltwater tank, but my knowledge was lacking. Over the past 6 months I have learned a lot regarding aquarium keeping "freshwater". I think it's time for me to start gathering equipment needed for a saltwater tank. I'm thinking I want to go with a 90g tank but open to ideas for what works best.

Iv been doing some research and it looks like an RO system would be my first purchase. I have fairly good tap water, so it's been used for my freshwater tank with no issues "yet".

Soooooo, I'm a newbie. What can some of you veterans advice?

Thanks
PJ

Old 02-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Saltwater tanks are less forgiving than freshwater, patience is key. I've learned the hard way that you should buy good quality equipment from the beginning even though it costs more upfront if you buy something cheap now it will cost more to keep upgrading later. Having said that, set a budget and stick with it, the saltwater world can get very expensive very fast. Think about what you want to keep live stock wise and plan around that. Is there a specific type of fish you want, if so what are its needs. How about coral, what types of coral, what are their needs. I think a 90 gallon tank is a great size but does it match your live stock?

I'm certainly not an expert but I've learned a few things from my mistakes.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiaRose View Post
Saltwater tanks are less forgiving than freshwater, patience is key. I've learned the hard way that you should buy good quality equipment from the beginning even though it costs more upfront if you buy something cheap now it will cost more to keep upgrading later. Having said that, set a budget and stick with it, the saltwater world can get very expensive very fast. Think about what you want to keep live stock wise and plan around that. Is there a specific type of fish you want, if so what are its needs. How about coral, what types of coral, what are their needs. I think a 90 gallon tank is a great size but does it match your live stock?

Agreed, I recently started a 29 gallon and I've already replaced almost all of the original equipment I got. It's definitely worth it to get the good stuff first instead of trying to save money and get junk.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

Yes, I went through that with my freshwater setup. Even with freshwater, I went through a lot of failure before I Learned to just do it the right way the first time and be sure to do my homework.

I was kinda set on a 90 but I can't seem to find one that I'm looking for online. I did find a SeaClearAcrylic 50g for under $300. Iv never owned an Acrylic tank, but seems to have a lot of advantages.

I haven't decided on fish yet. Other than a clown fish . The girlfriend certainly wants one of those. I do think I want to go with coral in the long run. Start out with live rock, let everything cycle, then add some coral later on.

If anyone has any advice on good substrate, good rock, and good quality coral that's been successful for you. I would love to hear some brands out there to purchase.

I recently went with a sunsun 303b canister on my freshwater setup and love it, especially for the price. I was planning on purchasing another for the saltwater setup unless advised otherwise.

My biggest concern is the RO/DI situation. I certainly don't want to buy that everytime I do a water change. This is where I know nothing about. I understand the biology and what it's used for but setting one up and knowing how to set one up giving me enough water for my tank. That's the issue with me right now.

Does anyone know of a good home RO setup that will produce enough for a 50g?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcollins0901 View Post
Yes, I went through that with my freshwater setup. Even with freshwater, I went through a lot of failure before I Learned to just do it the right way the first time and be sure to do my homework.

I was kinda set on a 90 but I can't seem to find one that I'm looking for online. I did find a SeaClearAcrylic 50g for under $300. Iv never owned an Acrylic tank, but seems to have a lot of advantages.

I haven't decided on fish yet. Other than a clown fish . The girlfriend certainly wants one of those. I do think I want to go with coral in the long run. Start out with live rock, let everything cycle, then add some coral later on.

If anyone has any advice on good substrate, good rock, and good quality coral that's been successful for you. I would love to hear some brands out there to purchase.

I recently went with a sunsun 303b canister on my freshwater setup and love it, especially for the price. I was planning on purchasing another for the saltwater setup unless advised otherwise.

My biggest concern is the RO/DI situation. I certainly don't want to buy that everytime I do a water change. This is where I know nothing about. I understand the biology and what it's used for but setting one up and knowing how to set one up giving me enough water for my tank. That's the issue with me right now.

Does anyone know of a good home RO setup that will produce enough for a 50g?
There is the aquatic life ro/di unit that's fairly cheap and I really like mine. As for the canister I would avoid that with saltwater, for a 90 gallon I would definitely go with a sump. If you don't want to drill your tank there are a bunch of HOB ways to do it
Old 02-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEaquarium06 View Post
There is the aquatic life ro/di unit that's fairly cheap and I really like mine. As for the canister I would avoid that with saltwater, for a 90 gallon I would definitely go with a sump. If you don't want to drill your tank there are a bunch of HOB ways to do it
Just curious, what is the issues with a canister regarding saltwater?

I just like them bc they are so quite and maintenence free for much longer than HOB.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

A lot of people don't like them because they can be nitrate factories, and generally if you want corals you want your water as close to pristine as possible. I currently use one on my 125 gallon FOWLR, but in religious with my maintenance.

I use the Fluval FX 6, its rated for a 400 gallon tank, and I use it on a 125.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
A lot of people don't like them because they can be nitrate factories, and generally if you want corals you want your water as close to pristine as possible. I currently use one on my 125 gallon FOWLR, but in religious with my maintenance.

I use the Fluval FX 6, its rated for a 400 gallon tank, and I use it on a 125.
Ok gotcha. I'm having to add nitrate to the freshwater aquarium. But it's also heavily planted.

How is your routine with the RO/DI water:

Say u have a 90 gallon and do a 25g water change biweekly "seems to be biweekly from what iv read with saltwater".

Do u just have a series of buckets with lids and collect your RO water throughout the week? Then at the time u do the water change, mix it and out in your aquarium?

I'm kinda hard core with my maintenence as well and that won't be a problem with me but I can't dedicate an entire day to a single 25% water change. Or if u just make the RO water at time it's needed wpuld prob take the entire weekend. Also, do u have to manually shut the water of when a bucket is full? Could u set it up prior to leaving for work without flooding the floor.

Simple questions but remember I'm a newbie to this
Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a much smaller tank and I do about 5 gal water changes every week. I make the ro/di water right then while I'm did the change. I would assume something as simple as a ball valve would make it so you could leave it running all day with out overflowing
Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Although it does take time to make RO/DI water I personally wouldn't leave it without being in the house to keep an eye on it, I use 5 gallon bucks and then transfer it to a bigger garbage can which I use for storage in between water changes. If you have the space and a big enough container or even multiple containers you could make a little every night and stock up.

I do water changes once a week sometimes every other week.

Tags
aquarium, ate, beginner, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com