Beginner to saltwater aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pcollins0901

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently setup my first planted freshwater aquarium. So far everything is going great thanks to many members of this forum. Iv always wanted a saltwater tank, but my knowledge was lacking. Over the past 6 months I have learned a lot regarding aquarium keeping "freshwater". I think it's time for me to start gathering equipment needed for a saltwater tank. I'm thinking I want to go with a 90g tank but open to ideas for what works best.

Iv been doing some research and it looks like an RO system would be my first purchase. I have fairly good tap water, so it's been used for my freshwater tank with no issues "yet".

Soooooo, I'm a newbie. What can some of you veterans advice?

Thanks
PJ

Saltwater tanks are less forgiving than freshwater, patience is key. I've learned the hard way that you should buy good quality equipment from the beginning even though it costs more upfront if you buy something cheap now it will cost more to keep upgrading later. Having said that, set a budget and stick with it, the saltwater world can get very expensive very fast. Think about what you want to keep live stock wise and plan around that. Is there a specific type of fish you want, if so what are its needs. How about coral, what types of coral, what are their needs. I think a 90 gallon tank is a great size but does it match your live stock?

I'm certainly not an expert but I've learned a few things from my mistakes.

Saltwater tanks are less forgiving than freshwater, patience is key. I've learned the hard way that you should buy good quality equipment from the beginning even though it costs more upfront if you buy something cheap now it will cost more to keep upgrading later. Having said that, set a budget and stick with it, the saltwater world can get very expensive very fast. Think about what you want to keep live stock wise and plan around that. Is there a specific type of fish you want, if so what are its needs. How about coral, what types of coral, what are their needs. I think a 90 gallon tank is a great size but does it match your live stock?

Agreed, I recently started a 29 gallon and I've already replaced almost all of the original equipment I got. It's definitely worth it to get the good stuff first instead of trying to save money and get junk.

Yes, I went through that with my freshwater setup. Even with freshwater, I went through a lot of failure before I Learned to just do it the right way the first time and be sure to do my homework.

I was kinda set on a 90 but I can't seem to find one that I'm looking for online. I did find a SeaClearAcrylic 50g for under $300. Iv never owned an Acrylic tank, but seems to have a lot of advantages.

I haven't decided on fish yet. Other than a clown fish [emoji23] . The girlfriend certainly wants one of those. I do think I want to go with coral in the long run. Start out with live rock, let everything cycle, then add some coral later on.

If anyone has any advice on good substrate, good rock, and good quality coral that's been successful for you. I would love to hear some brands out there to purchase.

I recently went with a sunsun 303b canister on my freshwater setup and love it, especially for the price. I was planning on purchasing another for the saltwater setup unless advised otherwise.

My biggest concern is the RO/DI situation. I certainly don't want to buy that everytime I do a water change. This is where I know nothing about. I understand the biology and what it's used for but setting one up and knowing how to set one up giving me enough water for my tank. That's the issue with me right now.

Does anyone know of a good home RO setup that will produce enough for a 50g?

Yes, I went through that with my freshwater setup. Even with freshwater, I went through a lot of failure before I Learned to just do it the right way the first time and be sure to do my homework.

I was kinda set on a 90 but I can't seem to find one that I'm looking for online. I did find a SeaClearAcrylic 50g for under $300. Iv never owned an Acrylic tank, but seems to have a lot of advantages.

I haven't decided on fish yet. Other than a clown fish [emoji23] . The girlfriend certainly wants one of those. I do think I want to go with coral in the long run. Start out with live rock, let everything cycle, then add some coral later on.

If anyone has any advice on good substrate, good rock, and good quality coral that's been successful for you. I would love to hear some brands out there to purchase.

I recently went with a sunsun 303b canister on my freshwater setup and love it, especially for the price. I was planning on purchasing another for the saltwater setup unless advised otherwise.

My biggest concern is the RO/DI situation. I certainly don't want to buy that everytime I do a water change. This is where I know nothing about. I understand the biology and what it's used for but setting one up and knowing how to set one up giving me enough water for my tank. That's the issue with me right now.

Does anyone know of a good home RO setup that will produce enough for a 50g?
There is the aquatic life ro/di unit that's fairly cheap and I really like mine. As for the canister I would avoid that with saltwater, for a 90 gallon I would definitely go with a sump. If you don't want to drill your tank there are a bunch of HOB ways to do it

There is the aquatic life ro/di unit that's fairly cheap and I really like mine. As for the canister I would avoid that with saltwater, for a 90 gallon I would definitely go with a sump. If you don't want to drill your tank there are a bunch of HOB ways to do it
Just curious, what is the issues with a canister regarding saltwater?

I just like them bc they are so quite and maintenence free for much longer than HOB.

A lot of people don't like them because they can be nitrate factories, and generally if you want corals you want your water as close to pristine as possible. I currently use one on my 125 gallon FOWLR, but in religious with my maintenance.

I use the Fluval FX 6, its rated for a 400 gallon tank, and I use it on a 125.

A lot of people don't like them because they can be nitrate factories, and generally if you want corals you want your water as close to pristine as possible. I currently use one on my 125 gallon FOWLR, but in religious with my maintenance.

I use the Fluval FX 6, its rated for a 400 gallon tank, and I use it on a 125.
Ok gotcha. I'm having to add nitrate to the freshwater aquarium. But it's also heavily planted.

How is your routine with the RO/DI water:

Say u have a 90 gallon and do a 25g water change biweekly "seems to be biweekly from what iv read with saltwater".

Do u just have a series of buckets with lids and collect your RO water throughout the week? Then at the time u do the water change, mix it and out in your aquarium?

I'm kinda hard core with my maintenence as well and that won't be a problem with me but I can't dedicate an entire day to a single 25% water change. Or if u just make the RO water at time it's needed wpuld prob take the entire weekend. Also, do u have to manually shut the water of when a bucket is full? Could u set it up prior to leaving for work without flooding the floor.

Simple questions but remember I'm a newbie to this [emoji16]

I have a much smaller tank and I do about 5 gal water changes every week. I make the ro/di water right then while I'm did the change. I would assume something as simple as a ball valve would make it so you could leave it running all day with out overflowing

Although it does take time to make RO/DI water I personally wouldn't leave it without being in the house to keep an eye on it, I use 5 gallon bucks and then transfer it to a bigger garbage can which I use for storage in between water changes. If you have the space and a big enough container or even multiple containers you could make a little every night and stock up.

I do water changes once a week sometimes every other week.

Although it does take time to make RO/DI water I personally wouldn't leave it without being in the house to keep an eye on it, I use 5 gallon bucks and then transfer it to a bigger garbage can which I use for storage in between water changes. If you have the space and a big enough container or even multiple containers you could make a little every night and stock up.

I do water changes once a week sometimes every other week.
Yes, I think that would work out well for me. Just make a little each night then come water change day, I will have it ready to rock and won't have to wait.

Iv been looking a lights. I like the current USA marine LED light an awful lot. I know I would have to go with 2 of them if I go with the 90 gallon.

Any of yall use LED lighting with your saltwater tank?

For my 10 gallon coral only tank I use the AI prime, so you could do a couple of those, but I've also heard some great things about Kessil.

For my 10 gallon coral only tank I use the AI prime, so you could do a couple of those, but I've also heard some great things about Kessil.
I will check out kessil.

I just found a 100 gallon tank on Craigs list for $125 [emoji15]! Only like 40 minutes from me. I'm jumping all over it if it's functional, which he says it's I'm great condition.

Have any of yall looked at the DIY sump the king of DIY on YouTube builds? Looks like it functions basically the same way as a $400 sump but about $20 to build. Also, he shows how to create a weir so one wouldn't have to drill the tank. Looks like it would work great. I don't want to skimp but considering a sump is a sump IMO. Regardless of what it looks like it's hidden and seems to be a legit was to remove a lot of the up front cost.

He just didn't mention much about saltwater, but I feel it shouldn't matter.

Sumps are easy to build on your own. I made the one on my reef out of a 20 long I got at a dollar a gallon sale. For my next build, it'll be the big horse troughs you can get at tractor supply.

I have an AI hydra 26 on my 20 gallon and 2 kessil 160s over my 40 breeder. Both are great lights but I'd get hydras if I had to do it again. Not as much control with the kessil she even with the controller.

1487163311475.jpg

So, here is the tank I can get for super cheap. It need some TLC care for the price if it holds water it's worth it. The seller says it 72x18x18. Also. Said the glass is .5in thick. It's a rimless top. He added the wood years back to match his house. Said it's just silicone and can be removed.

What's yall's take on this tank for a reef tank? I would love it for a planted freshwater, but do reef tanks need to be higher?

Those are odd dimensions. Is it a custom tank? Looks more like something you'd keep a snake in. I'd be sure that it holds water before anything.
I researched it. Seems it referred to a a 100 long. Seen some amazing saltwater scape with the same tank. A lot if people seemed to envy it and said they couldn't find ever find one with that spec. Anyways, what I found out that style has basically been replaced in the general hobby by the the 125 gallon which is same spec except 20 in tall. So, 72x18x20 compared to the 100 long at 72x18x18.

I'm going to get it. I want to do saltwater but it's a little overwhelming. The sump confuses be severely. I get the concept but I get on YouTube and see systems people design for a 40g thst without a doubt has a 5k sumo under it. Is that crap necessary?

Back
Top Bottom