Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks mr. Crabs. The rock work took a while to get right...still worried of a collapse but I think it is pretty stable. Skimmer has been running a full week now. Should have bought it when I started the tank! Water looks a lot better and my nitrates have reduced. Think my canister is a factory for nitrates. Going to try and clean it every few days or so. I want to get them down to <10 ppm before I add anything else. I think I might need one more powerhead to move water through rock work better as I think that is causing detritus to settle in the rocks and drive my nitrates up.

I admittedly have been over feeding the tank because my twin spot goby is an impossibly difficult eater. Needs food right in front of him to eat!

With it only running for 5 months I don't think I have bio diversity fully in place yet. Been doing some reading and it seems that you need at least 6 months to get to a stable bio diversity level. Since I didn't have much live rock to seed my base rock I think I need more than 6 months?

Would eventually like corals but until I can figure out how to keep nitrates down I am staying with Fowlr...plus I would have to get my chocolate chips out of the tank and save up for a lot better lighting!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a hob AC 30 that I converted to a job refugium with LR and cheato. I'm using it in an attempt to build a pod population, but the cheato is supposed to lower nitrates too. You could try that.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is a good idea. My space is very limited I'll look into the AC, my edges are only like 11-12 inches long. I have read up some on the cheato but I think I need lights for that don't I? How is yours setup? Sounds like it could be loud to? I want to get rid of my canister but reluctant as I just bought it 6 months ago...should have done more research, I guess.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon
That is a good idea. My space is very limited I'll look into the AC, my edges are only like 11-12 inches long. I have read up some on the cheato but I think I need lights for that don't I? How is yours setup? Sounds like it could be loud to? I want to get rid of my canister but reluctant as I just bought it 6 months ago...should have done more research, I guess.
I bought a submersible 10w light from inTank that I put in the AC. I put some small pieces of LR and a little bit more than golf ball size chaeto. There is a little bit of noise from the water coming back out of the hob filter, but its like a waterfall noise and i barely notice it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

I bought a submersible 10w light from inTank that I put in the AC. I put some small pieces of LR and a little bit more than golf ball size chaeto. There is a little bit of noise from the water coming back out of the hob filter, but its like a waterfall noise and i barely notice it.
So the cheato doesn't need much light then. Seriously considering it. Anyway you could share a picture of the setup? I am like a five year old...I do better with pictures than words.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

So the cheato doesn't need much light then. Seriously considering it. Anyway you could share a picture of the setup? I am like a five year old...I do better with pictures than words.
Hey there! I was reading your thread and I am also looking for lighting for a sump. I came across this and I think I may try it as its inexpensive and I figured it was worth a try. Make sure you read down all the way though!

http://melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

In addition, I LOVE the rock you have! What kind is it? I'm adding base rock to my second 56 gallon and want it to look very similar.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I believe it was Fiji base rock. It is not very porous though which is disappointing as I would like it to be more porous if I go with Berlin filtration as I understand that the porous nature helps with the natural filtration. I bought the rock twelve years ago when I set up my 250 gallon so can't quite remember what the LFS called it...and yes I still have the 250 gallon in my basement...kids cut into my hobby time and after I had a complete die off (ice storm left no power for two weeks) I shut it down. I still remember clearing it out after water got down to 40 degrees and found a hermit crab still roaming around! This is my first setup since then and am really enjoying it and all the helpful advice!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I tried taking pics, they're not too great cuz of the position of the AC. Here's what I have. The cheato doesn't seem to need much light, it's grown some already. It's just a little bit of LR at the bottom, then cheato and the light. First two are from the side, then a top view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1467714329.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	133089

Name:	image-3564245118.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	133090

Name:	image-840682780.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	133091
Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for pics! Looks great! Working myself up to next level!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Beengirl is this setup on your 30g? How are your nitrates after you put the cheato in the filter? Did they come down?

Tags
filtration, method

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com