Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon
Beengirl is this setup on your 30g? How are your nitrates after you put the cheato in the filter? Did they come down?
This is on my 55g reef. My nitrates were never a big problem. They have always been 5-10 ppm. I did this the have a place for pods to grow cuz I'm tired of buying them.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

How do you keep your nitrates low? I have had high nitrates from day 45....(10 days after I did a 90% water change after the tank cycled). Not sure what I am doing wrong as I have done regular water changes!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
How do you keep your nitrates low? I have had high nitrates from day 45....(10 days after I did a 90% water change after the tank cycled). Not sure what I am doing wrong as I have done regular water changes!
If you feed frozen let cubes thaw and rinse before you feed your tank. I feed every other day. Also, I use a good protein skimmer. Make sure you are topping off with RO water. Water changes once a week. When you do the water changes, prior to removing water, take your powerhead and blow off all the rocks etc. it will help keep things clean. Your source is probably going to be organic waste (overfeeding), your water source (I would test the water you get at an LFS to rule it out), or you may need to clean any filters, sponges, etc. in the tank.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Nikki! Unfortunately I think I am doing the things you suggest except feeding. I get my RO water from grocery store. I am over feeding and that must be the cause! I need to buck up and get an RODI though too. I did get a protein skimmer which I should have done before getting the canister filter...or not gotten it at all!

I think I'm a little frustrated about my nitrates because i don't have a large bio load at all and I still end up with nitrates at 80ppm with frequent water changes!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I attribute my nitrates being good to keeping my filter clean and having a great skimmer. I'm sure that I overfeed because i do feed my corals a couple times a week too, but because of those two things, I haven't had any issues yet.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks beengirl. experience is better than conjecture. I think I need to clean my filters more often too. I like the idea of using cheato as well, I think it will make a big difference as well!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thanks beengirl. experience is better than conjecture. I think I need to clean my filters more often too. I like the idea of using cheato as well, I think it will make a big difference as well!
Canisters can be tricky. If you don't clean them often you will continue to have nitrate issues. I have one on one of my 55 gallons and I have to clean it weekly. If you really want to see how truly dirty they get in just a week, take one of those painter buckets (new and clean if course) and drain some water when you do a water change. Open your filter and shake out the sponge filter things really well in it. The water will be nasty! Then I do the same with each tray real fast. I then do it in some clean saltwater and put it back together. I just don't get how it can get that dirty that fast but it does.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is crazy how dirty the water is when I clean out the canister. Part of the reason to get rid of it. Going to try and clean it more regularly but my goal is not to have to do maintenance weekly! I know...I know...if you want a good setup maintenance is key but it does wear on me when I know it has to be easier than it is. I like maintaining... just expect good results when I do. Thanks for tips. I am curious if I can get the skimmer working to my advantage and am looking to get an old school trickle filter. Wish I hadn't chucked my old one years ago. I am patient and determined. Wish there was more knowledge locally when I am at my LFS! It is amazing how little they know...I guess that goes for me too!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It is crazy how dirty the water is when I clean out the canister. Part of the reason to get rid of it. Going to try and clean it more regularly but my goal is not to have to do maintenance weekly! I know...I know...if you want a good setup maintenance is key but it does wear on me when I know it has to be easier than it is. I like maintaining... just expect good results when I do. Thanks for tips. I am curious if I can get the skimmer working to my advantage and am looking to get an old school trickle filter. Wish I hadn't chucked my old one years ago. I am patient and determined. Wish there was more knowledge locally when I am at my LFS! It is amazing how little they know...I guess that goes for me too!
Have you tried running something that soaks the nitrates up?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser

Have you tried running something that soaks the nitrates up?
Seachem and others make stuff that you put in a mesh bag and you can use in your filter system that will help absorb some of it.

Tags
filtration, method

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com