Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are they safe? I have read too much I think of the purists view points that want you to have a fuge...ect.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon
Are they safe? I have read too much I think of the purists view points that want you to have a fuge...ect.
I've used them as have many others. I put some in my canister because my neighbor is feeding my fish as I'm out of town for holiday.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. Have a great Thanksgiving. I might do my black Friday shopping at petco now...
Old 11-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay so I want to see if an idea I have will work. My protein skimmer has a bubble diffuser area in the tank (it is a coralife super skimmer 65g). I have the single bright marineland led lights that sit above that diffuser...could I take out diffuser materials and replace with cheato? My concerns are that it is a very small area and that it may impact the performance of my skimmer...it would however be a very easy answer if it would reduce my nitrates. Thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

A trickle filter will cause the same constantly high nitrate levels that your canister is giving you. The purpose of the Berlin or any other modern reef method is to have your rock and sand as the only biological filtration in the reef. Canisters and trickle filters subvert this goal. A skimmer is key as is very very careful feeding. Can you fit a sump in the stand? That's always the ideal option.

As for lights, I can't imagine anything working well in such a tall tank other than good LEDs or a MH. I would consider LEDs because of overall performance, cost and heat.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
A trickle filter will cause the same constantly high nitrate levels that your canister is giving you. The purpose of the Berlin or any other modern reef method is to have your rock and sand as the only biological filtration in the reef. Canisters and trickle filters subvert this goal. A skimmer is key as is very very careful feeding.

As for lights, I can't imagine anything working well in such a tall tank other than good LEDs or a MH. I would consider LEDs because of overall performance, cost and heat.
Are high quality lights needed for a fowlr system running the Berlin method? I am proposing getting rid of my canister and creating a small fuge for cheato nitrate reduction, which is I guess not the Berlin method anymore? Never done a fuge but have been reading up and thought a trickle filter with guts ripped out and cheato put in as a nitrate reducer. Would that not work? Appreciate the help.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Are high quality lights needed for a fowlr system running the Berlin method? I am proposing getting rid of my canister and creating a small fuge for cheato nitrate reduction, which is I guess not the Berlin method anymore? Never done a fuge but have been reading up and thought a trickle filter with guts ripped out and cheato put in as a nitrate reducer. Would that not work? Appreciate the help.
That's exactly how I setup my systems. It's a modified Berlin method. I LOVE it. Kept fish and masses of corals in a system like that in a 30L for over a decade.

You don't need bright lights. They should be strong enough to keep the bottom well lit. If you want something nice looking, low heat, no bulb replacement just for FOWLR you could look at the Finnex FugeRay fixtures. If you think you may want to try a few corals out the Ray II would allow that. Even a 14000K 20w LED floodlight from eBay would be fine. You may want to build a mount for something like a floodlight.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do you think about converting my bubble diffuser for my coralife super skimmer 65g to a mini fuge instead of getting the trickle filter, ect? The diffuser is approx 3"in length by 2" wide by 3" deep.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What do you think about converting my bubble diffuser for my coralife super skimmer 65g to a mini fuge instead of getting the trickle filter, ect? The diffuser is approx 3"in length by 2" wide by 3" deep.
So tiny. I can't see any reason not to try it but I don't know how effective it would be. You may end up with algae growing on the inside surfaces of the skimmer. If you can't have a sump it'd be fun to do IMO.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

So tiny. I can't see any reason not to try it but I don't know how effective it would be. You may end up with algae growing on the inside surfaces of the skimmer. If you can't have a sump it'd be fun to do IMO.
I know small, right. I'm going to give it a shot in mid December. Can't find a lfs with cheato so I have to order it on line and won't be in country for a few weeks to ensue it all gets handled appropriately. Was hoping someone would say. Oh yeah I did that and it worked out great...I guess I'll be they guy in the future....one way or the other.

When I add it what is protocol? Add a little so it grows or fill the thing up or somewhere in between? For trimming it back what is best way to do it? Sorry I know mundane points but I have found the devil many times in details, especially when not at all familiar with something!

Tags
filtration, method

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com