Best blue fish for 55 gal fowlr?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cvo1010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I was wondering what kind of blue fish would go with my tank. I have 2 clownfish, 1 fire fish and 1 yellow tang. I want a blue fish to add to the tank so it could give a different colour then orange and yellow. It must be peaceful and compatible with my fish.

Thx for your help

I would suggest some type of angel like a bicolor, maybe a school of blue chromis? There are not a ton of blue fish.... So that options are kinda limited :/

I knw that's why it's hard for me to chose but thx for your help I may d the blue chromis in a school of 3 but I forget how big they get and are they aggressive?
And how much should I get because I also want to get a six line wrasse to finish my stocking
Thx

Some people dont like chromis but i like them... They are usually very peaceful. I have a chalk bass in my tank and he is super blue :D

Wouldn't an angel outgrow the tank? I have a 56 gallon and got rid of my coral beauty because I'd heard it wasn't enough room and they wouldn't fair well. The bicolor is an awesome fish! I've had one before and had no issues. It was probably one of the best fish I've had but I had it in a bigger tank. I would love to put one in my tank now if it's not to small!

Ok...just looked up blue chromis and they look cool!!! How many should you get? It said they are schooling fish and do better in groups as solitary chromis don't do well. I like that they can be kept with corals and are peaceful. Are they territorial like damsels? Sorry for the questions!

I would say a neon goby. Blue spotted jawfish are pretty but need cold water.

Lol nikki a coral beauty would love to have a 50 gallon tank, they only need 30 gallons like most dwarf angels. And chromis would do best in a 5+ school. They are not even close to damsels... Lol much nicer

I have a coral beauty in my 55 reef and he loves his life. The problem with additions at this point is that having a large fish in there, the yellow tang, will end up causing large amounts of waste that a tank of that size can't handle. This along with a yellow tang needing a ton of room will end up leading to its demise (if it is the only one) due to spikes in ammonia. Sorry to rain on the parade here...

But in the topic of a blue fish for your future, I would recommend a chalk bass. Really fast and cool fish, one of my favorites.

Sniperhank said:
I have a coral beauty in my 55 reef and he loves his life. The problem with additions at this point is that having a large fish in there, the yellow tang, will end up causing large amounts of waste that a tank of that size can't handle. This along with a yellow tang needing a ton of room will end up leading to its demise (if it is the only one) due to spikes in ammonia. Sorry to rain on the parade here...

But in the topic of a blue fish for your future, I would recommend a chalk bass. Really fast and cool fish, one of my favorites.

Yaa the yellow tang is definitly a huge problem, and im happy you said that. Honestly, i was just relieved when i realized the OP didnt consider blue tang for her "blue" fish. Lol

I agree with the chalk bass comment!!!

Attachments

• image-2797047733.jpg
    image-2797047733.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 116
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol nikki a coral beauty would love to have a 50 gallon tank, they only need 30 gallons like most dwarf angels. And chromis would do best in a 5+ school. They are not even close to damsels... Lol much nicer

NuNu, the Chromis are in fact in the Damsel family, and although they are probably the most peaceful of the Damsels, they still can be somewhat aggressive. Mostly to the weakest link in the school, but occasionally, to new introductions as well. Adding them last would help with this. I wouldn't rule them out because of their aggression, but it is something to be conscious of.
I had a school of 11 at one time, and within 3 years, was down to 3, with no other losses but them. Mine were the Blue/Green variety.
A very nice looking blue fish though!

Boooooo!!!! I sold my CB back to my LFS...well that bites!! I had a 150 gallon tank a few years back and thought this one would be too small...FAIL! Now I want her back! LOL! Thanks for the information though!

Sniperhank said:

I had always thought about the yellow tang and I've heard stuff about them being too big for the tank or 55gal is the perfect size for them. My final decision was yes because of my fish store. They said that it may be hard to keep but it won't outgrow the tank since it will keep small. I had bought it when it was mini and it has grown a little bit but not enough to grow the tank. I've had the fish for 5 months now and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. At the start it was a bit of a bully but now I find them as friends. So If I did get the chromis wouldn't 5 be too much. I'm not use to having tons of fish in a big tank.

I would question a fish store that suggests that a yellow tang will not grow. If they are suggesting that keeping it in a smaller tank will stunt its growth, they may be correct. I'm guessing that isn't healthy for any kind of fish. A tiny one in a 55 will be fine for a while.

I'm not trying to be the tang police here. Same theory would go for angels, triggers, puffers, etc.

I dont see whats wrong with being part of the "tang police". Its simply people who dont like watching big fish go in small tanks, not sure why people have a negative view of people that love fish and dont want to see them stressed and deformed.

Long story short, the fish store just wated your cash and would have sold you a shark to put in your tank if they could.

I also would be concerned with a tang long term in a 55g but you guys have made that point pretty clear.

I will say that i love my blue reef chromis, very very active and they dont bother anything in the tank. However, I started with 5 and now have only 2. :-( Two of them jumped and one just went missing. I'm looking to add 6 more to my 2 next month as i also have read that the bigger the school the better. I've had mine for almost a year and the chromis are about 2-3 inches now which is double the size they started out with so they aren't the small blue/green chromis size just so you know.

Carey, not sure what you mean by the small blue/green Chromis size?
Some of the blue/greens I had got to be 3+".
Do these not become as large as the blues?

From what I have seen locally the blue reef ones get much bigger than the blue/green variety. Compared to the blue/greens I have seen in person and online sizes the reef ones get much larger, part of the reason I went with the reef ones. :)

Here is a shot of them for reference

img_2057497_0_693b2e73150d42e4e0ae66d01b69f252.jpg

Yeah, most of the ones I see for sale are tiny, but mine got...well the ones that lasted, got as big as the largest in your pic.
I think they are so small in the stores, because they get bought quickly. No one, including distributors, sit on them for long.
Really nice Blues Btw..

You should get a blueheaded wrasse! Those guys look amazing!!

Back
Top Bottom