Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2005, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Best filtration?

I'm looking at a 65 gal FOWLR, with 2 to 3 inches of sand. A friend told me the best bet would be a wet/dry filter with bioballs and a protien skimmer. What do you think? Is that better than the canister filters?

Old 03-15-2005, 03:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
thats what i run right now and it works great.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
lol i just looked at what i wrote sorry... i use a wet/dry system and it works great. i got one with a built in skimmer from pro clear aquatics and tank is up and running smoothly
Old 03-15-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Many here will say that canister or HOB filters are nitrate farms (and they can be if you don't clean the sponges). The bioballs can also harbor lots of stuff that could cause nitrate spikes. If you keep things clean and do regular water changes you will do fine either way. I personally have an penguin 170 (came with tank) a Fluval 104 with sponges, two compartments with carbon and a compartment with the ceramic bio things). Remember to keep it clean though.

The preferred method here (correct me if I am wrong fellas) is using live rock rubble in a sump (kind of a bio ball substitute). The rubble would be completely submerged though. Over 10 years ago when I did sw the first time I believe this method was called the BERLIN method... http://www.berlinmethod.com/overview.html
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live rock is the best filtration... do you plan on getting any??? 65 lbs would be a good start.
I like a Sump over a w/D... No bio balls to trap waste and create NO3 and adds water volume and a place for heater, skimmer...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
Live rock is the best filtration... do you plan on getting any??? 65 lbs would be a good start.
I like a Sump over a w/D... No bio balls to trap waste and create NO3 and adds water volume and a place for heater, skimmer...
Yes, I definately plan on doing live rock. What exactly do you mean by a sump over a W/D? Is this something for the newbie like myself? Do you have any diagrams? Is the bioball method out of date?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Instead of using bio balls you use live rock rubble, but you have to keep them completely submerged. Lr rubble is much better because bioballs cause nitrate to rise, and lr rubble gives pods a great place to grow. I'm not sure what Seaham meant by 'Sump over a w/d', I have my w/d in my sump.

Here is a website for a great DIY w/d and sump: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/wetdry.htm

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think he meant that he perferred sumps more than W/D systems.

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I prefer sumps, sumps and W/D are 2 different things.... they both work in similar ways but a sump has no Bioballs which IMO are out dated and can trap waste causing some other issues.
superskimmer.com is a site that makes sumps, check it out so you know what Im talking about.
I like having nothing in my sumps except equipment, skimmer, heater, pumps. IMO LR rubble can and will trap waste just like BB, so I have my LR in my tank and fuge.
Either one is much better then a canister filter. With these you will need to have a drilled tank or a overflow box, with a canister you won't.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to morphviper
The best wet dry system

The best wet dry system and overflow that I have found is from www.aquaplumbers.com they are also very helpful. Add a protein skimmer and you will have one of the best tanks around!

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com