Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question Best Filtration means for my tank?

60 gallon tank
fluval 405
bak pak protein skimmer
heater
650 gph power head

i have been reading alot about no using cansiter filters for my fish tank. that the only thing i need is live rock and a protein skimmer? is that correct. should i not use my flilter and just run my protein skimmer. or what would you guys advice me to use. i wanted a small puffer fish and small trigger fish.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Well.. yeah. Basically you don't really need to run the canister filter if you have a protein skimmer and a sufficient amount of live rock(which is 1 - 1.5lbs PER gallon of water). However, it certainly won't harm your tank to run a canister filter. I see TONS of reefers and non-reefers using canister filters today to run carbon, GFO, zeovit, and other things you couldn't run if you didn't have a sump. It's another good way to keep your water clean, but don't think it is necessary.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

LR and a skimmer is all you really need but since you already have the canister the added filtration and water flow wont hurt.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Running a canister is fine. Running just LR & a skimmer is fine. It all depends on your set up and needs. The fear of canister filters and why most people are moving to LR + skimmer is that they have a tendency to capture debris very well. The problem is that they also hold that debris and allow it to rot in the media creating nitrate "plumes". They require rigorous maintenance practices, but can be just as effective.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks alot sorry i am fairly new to this..i have been told they create alot of nitrates..how often should this filter be cleaned. and what type of lighting or what is required and be good for my live rock to fully thrive and benefit my tank
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you are just talking FOWLR tank than any type lighting will work. When you go reef then you`ll need more intense lighting.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Running a canister filter alongside LR reduces the efficiency of the rock to filter the water hence the nickname for canister filters in a marine set up "nitrate factories". They will run side by side for a few months untill problems start to occur but I have always found it best to let the rock do the work and stick with the Berlin method of plenty of water flow around the rock, but then again I have only ever trusted Berlin skimmers as some of the new ones hitting the market are diabolical

Tags
filtration, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com