Best fish for a saltwater newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacos377

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I have a 56 gallon two column tank with plenty of live rocks and sand and I am new to the hobby and was wondering which fish would be the easiest to care for with my live rock. Any ideas?

Clowns, damsels, chromis. The damsels can be very aggressive towards others and may be impossible to remove. Just do some research before getting any fish.

I have 2 clowns and 2 chromis and I feed them frozen mysis and brine shrimp as well as flakes

Thanks that pretty much answers all my questions! But as a sidenote which beginner fish is the most beautiful? And is 56 gallons a good tank size?

This might be a broad answer, but they are all beautiful. The clowns are colorful and silly, the chroma are a beautiful schooling fish, and the damsels are a great fish for their colors

Just a precaution

If you are looking into, say maroon clownfish or certain others you may want to add them last to your tank, as some are known to be aggressive and territorial. Read up on the ones you like and see which ones you think would go best.

I think you could have some cute clean up crew members, like maybe a couple diamond goby or watchman goby, peppermint or banded cleaner shrimp, brittle or serpent star(s), snails, hermit crabs, feather dusters....

You have the ideal tank for any type of tank that you dream of. Take a little time and really take a good look at all the options that you have!! Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!:thanks: (y)

Websites like liveaquaria.com are great for seeing a variety of fish, suggested tank sizes and compatability. 56 is not bad to start, but will bring some limitations. I'd start at 75g for starters if I had the choice,..more possibilities with that extra few gallons and size.

For your first fish, I wouldn't go w/ clowns... I would go w/ something a little cheaper. My first fish were 2 Yellowtail Damsels and 2 Chromis. Really cheap at $4.99 each. That way if they die, its not a $15 fish. My Damsels didn't make it but my Chromis are still going strong.

Live aquaria has good options but there are some quite hardy fish not mentioned on there beginners section that you might want to keep in mind

Chromis Damsels. Clowns are good starters. Damsels are mean for there size though. I like some smaller tangs as well. They can be a pain as far as disease though. Look at some reef safe wrasse.

Damsels are aggressive and can cause problems later. A lot of people regret getting them and want them out later when adding other fish. I would go with Chromis as an alternative. There are a few Tangs that will work with smaller tanks, but I don't think any are suggested for less than 75g. To me, they are not beginner fish, as they tend to get Ich easily. They should really be added to established tanks, so not a good first choice and not good for a new tank.

I would do chromis or clowns. Yes damsels are aggressive and you might regret getting them. Damsels were my first fish. They were extremely hard to catch and get rid of. My chromis and clowns are great.

Damsels can be quite aggressive. Personally, I avoid them. Blue reef or green chromis are great starter fish. I love my starry blenny too. Cleaner shrimp are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom