Best food to buy for Anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishbone13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Have a 75 Gallon tank and already have a zebra Anemone for a little less than a year and he has been do'n well on just frozen mysis and frozen cyclopeze and every once in a while I get some raw shrimp or squid from the market and dice it up and give it to him. I was wondering what else should I be feeding him or what can I buy from Kent or a different brand for example, that would be something you guys would recomend. There is so much out there and I was just hope'n for some input. I'll be getting a Purple Long Tentacle Anemone tomorrow and I just joined the site and I find for the short time I've been on here I've learned so much more than I have from the internet or my LFS just by read'n the threads. So if you guys have any sugestions I'm all ears.

Also what supliments should I add to the water as well? I already add a cap full of Kent marine liquid calcium to the water once a week for my Large Hard Tube Coco Worms.

Hiya! When I had my anenome I was feeding it bits of silversides and that's about it. lol Sounds like you're providing a pretty well balanced diet already.

As far as supplements I only do water changes to keep my trace levels up it really isn't necessary to add trace unless you test and your level is low. Do you test your calcium? Were you running low levels before you switched to kent?

Hey Carey,

No I wasn't running low it was something that was suggested to me by the LFS where I got the and that was over 2 years ago. I've done that since I've had them, and from everything I read and heard about them they should have already died on me so I just stick with whats work'n as long as it doesnt seem to hurt any thing in my tank. do you think I should stop add'n and just rely on the water changes?

Hey Ibrahim,

Thanks, any suggestions on one of the better brands? And how long should I soak the food?

If you can test for calcium I would. You may find you can keep your levels stable without the additives. You could probably save some cash not buying it but if your creatures are doing fine I understand your reluctance to change anything. :-D

Also what do you guys recomend for a feeder? I have one a friend gave to me a long time ago and I dont know the name brand but I'd like a better one thats easier to release the food or easier for the anemone to take it off.

Hey Carey,

Yeah I'm a creature of habit, most of the time to my detriment but this has worked out for me so far

Hey Mike, Garlic Extreme by Kent Marine is a very good product. Or you can target feed your anemone live brine shrimp. I get a 12 oz cup for a dollar at my LFS

Might not be the answer you are looking for. I suggest nothing when it comes to target feeding your anenome. I had one for yrs and then got rid of it because my clowns ignored it. IMO they get all they need from the lighting and water column. Just my experience.

Thanks Mike,

I think the same thing about them get'n what they need from the water column but I think it's cool to interact with them as much as I can. I hope my 2 clowns take to the new anemone cuz they basically ignor the one I have now. Thats why I got this one. Maybe I'll have better luck.

Try plan old cheap chop sticks. Stick the food between the two chop sticks and he will reach up and grab it off. I agree that it's fun to interact. For us that the reason we keep our nem. Our clown hasn't given it the time of day. But they are really cool and it's been fun to watch ours go from a really bleached white unhealthy specimen to a beautiful healthy brown.

Hey Maya,

Great Idea, And here I am try'n to think of inventions and whatnot to feed them, hahahaha.

Back
Top Bottom