Best lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a pc lighting believer! Makes liverock happy and I like to see my fish. I have the current usa satellite fixture with 2 96w bulbs and it was not very expensive.

Current USA 36" Satellite Fixture 2 x 96 watt power compacts with 1 lunar moonlights. Built in fan 37.00" x 7.5" x 2.75" - $168

Is that the one?

I love snakes btw, I have a ball python, a burmese python and a corn snake. Rainbow Boas are awesome.

The 36" fixture isn't going to fit your 55g tank. A 55g is 48". I'd go with a 2x65w fixture with 50/50 bulbs in a 48" length...that's plenty of light for a FOWLR tank. I don't have any personal experience with these PC fixtures as I build my own, but from the reviews I've read, the Coralife Aqualight is a better fixture. YMMV.

I agree with Logan. Coralife PC for a FOWLR is great. 2x65 is great, if you ever think you will want to try corals or have a reef you may wnat to look at the 4x65. Lighting is something you will only want to buy once.

There are several kits out there for do it yourselfers, and I'm sure when Lando wakes up he'll know of an article somewhere on it.
Check out the DIY section of articles here, there is all sorts of stuff there.

A 55g is 48".

Wow, I didn't realize 55's were so long, my 58 is only 36" long. I guess it must be wider than the typical 55.

go with the coralife 48" 4-65 watt aqualight or the 48" retro kit. THe difference in price is only $18 so the hood is the easiest to go with. Both are under $200

Hey darin,

I have a 150 HIGH... would a 4x65 still be ok for a reef? Or should I go with the 96watts? I want to steer clear from Halide if I can, but with a depth of 30" am I dreaming?

thanks,

mike

with a 30" depth 65 watt PCS are not really going to penetrate much. If the tank is 48"long then the 48"-96 watt hood will do a better job. Just stay away from SPS and clams and you should be okay.

So with pc lighting I could go reef? I thought MH was the only lighting that you could do with reef.

I saw a kit for $170 that was 4x64 48", would that be worth getting rather than the 2x64? I would rather go with making my own from scratch rather than buying a kit though, it would be cheaper that way.

I may go with that PC/Halide combo from Coralife then, because I want (well, SHE wants) to get a Maxim clam. I have her buying into this whole thing, I should make her happy right? LOL

m

you coulld do a basic reef with a 4-65 watt set up. If you want a clam then you need MH. Some say PC'S will work but i do not recomend trying. I sent you a PM as well

Back
Top Bottom