Best lighting for FOWLR - no corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
For 5 years I have had a regular

55W/65W Compact FL 50/50 Aquarium Lamp in White Nanometer Range: 460nm Blue/10K White. 3 tiny LEDs for moonlight. Adds a nice effect. Here's my current tank setup. Is this sufficient or should I look into getting a new light? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429704247.156963.jpg

I went to my LFS to saw some amazing colors I want to replicate. I would like a little more color in the daytime like this. Any suggestions?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429704291.791045.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should ask your LFS what that light is. There are many lighting units that will add color without being strong enough for corals...but they usually come with a very similar price tag. The marineland LED units always come to mind for me, though they claim they can keep corals which is incorrect, but I'm sure there are others out there I'm not aware of.

The newer interchangeable marineland led can keep some soft corals. The older model nope.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm still a big fan of the LED Tao knockoffs on eBay. Not expensive and you can dim/adjust the blue/white to get the look you want.

I personally enjoyed kessil's better.

I personally enjoyed kessil's better.

They do look great! Do you own one? Would I need two for a 75g? - 4/5 ft wide. They seem expensive.

U will need at least 2, 4 best if for sps.

I am running 2 360 at max 75% output and nothing SPS on the reefs.

Thinking of adding 2 AI Prime in the future.

I almost got the tao if it wasn't for the 2 outlets it need per unit. I endup doing more research and almosy got the Cree led. As I read more and more I found lights are one of those equipments u can should never go cheap on for the long run.

But these are all units that will support corals. The OP doesn't need the support, a simple low watt LED unit will give the color/shimmer he wants in his FOWLR system.

Thanks. Just need to figure out the right color. I believe LEDs seem more popular than bulbs now?

LED should be less expensive in the long run as you are not replacing bulbs. There are probably several options. You've got to ask yourself, are you going to eventually want to add corals?

I say go for the best price you want to spend. Today you may want fish only, tomorrow u may want to add corals.

I ended up getting a Current LED w/the preprogrammed timer. Absolutely love it!

Back
Top Bottom