Best place to buy live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only bought about 10-20% live rock and ordered dry base rock for the rest. I only paid $1.70 a lbs for the base rock and the live rock will seed it so it becomes live over time. Live rock at my lfs is $12-16 a pound.

Only problem is where I live nobody Carries it. I have a small mom and pop kinda store that doesn't do marine and the next closest place I know of is petsmart and they are about 30 miles away and they don't carry it either. So I think my only option is order it. There has to be some reefers around here! Maybe I'll post an add on Craigslist. I've seen posts for people selling marine equipment but never live rock. Maybe someone has some extra they can part with.

I do agree with this as at your LFS you`ll be able to pick the sizes and shapes you need plus there wont be much die off between the LFS and your home. But I see where no one close to home sells it so you may have to buy it online. Can I suggest you check out the vendors we have here at the site. I`ve seen some good prices and some good rock also.

melosu58 said:
I do agree with this as at your LFS you`ll be able to pick the sizes and shapes you need plus there wont be much die off between the LFS and your home. But I see where no one close to home sells it so you may have to buy it online. Can I suggest you check out the vendors we have here at the site. I`ve seen some good prices and some good rock also.

Thanks. I'll have to take a look

I'm reading on websites and it is saying I need moderate lighting and that I need to add supplements for live rock. My understanding was I could use any lighting I already had and nobody on here has mentioned adding supplements. I thought I just needed all that if I was doing coral. Am I wrong?

You don't have to supplement. And it'll still be live with no light. Any light will be fine. You don't even have to supplement for coral unless you have a lot.

Is using Base rock with live rock, a pretty normal thing? I remember reading that if u use base rock, u want to put it on the bottom and stack the live rock on top..is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom