Best saltwater fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Belladog0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I have a saltwater 20 gallon tank. I am looking for fish/shrimp/other stuff. What are the best to buy? I am going to start out with about 3-6 fish not including shrimp and urchins and the other stuff. Get back to me as soon as possible please because I am getting fish really soon!

Thanks a ton!

Belladog0 said:
Hello!

I have a saltwater 20 gallon tank. I am looking for fish/shrimp/other stuff. What are the best to buy? I am going to start out with about 3-6 fish not including shrimp and urchins and the other stuff. Get back to me as soon as possible please because I am getting fish really soon!

Thanks a ton!

Ok, well "best" is very opinionated. BUT, for me, i would do a clown, firefish, cardinal and a goby of some kind.

Also, what fo you mean "start off eith 3-6 fish"? To not overstock, you can only get 4 fish. Add only 1 every couple weeks

Haha okay is the tank cycled? First of all, i suggest going VERY slow. First week get 5 hermits and 5 snails with a shrimp. Next week maybe get a fish. Then maybe 1 more fish every 2 weeks or so. Do not add multiple fish at once, and 4 fish would stock a 20 gallon tank. Some fish that would work:

Clown fish
Bangaii cardnals
Pajama cardnal
Six line wrasse
Orange striped wrasse
Flasher wrasse
Bicolor blenny
Scissor tail dartfish
Royal gramma
Orange striped prawn goby
Yellow watchman goby

All easy fish

Gboy66 said:
Ok, well "best" is very opinionated. BUT, for me, i would do a clown, firefish, cardinal and a goby of some kind.

Also, what fo you mean "start off eith 3-6 fish"? To not overstock, you can only get 4 fish. Add only 1 every couple weeks

Ok!! What kind of goby?

Watchman
Orange dotted goby
Red headed goby
Pink spotted goby
High fin banded goby
Yasha goby
Etc etc etc.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha okay is the tank cycled? First of all, i suggest going VERY slow. First week get 5 hermits and 5 snails with a shrimp. Next week maybe get a fish. Then maybe 1 more fish every 2 weeks or so. Do not add multiple fish at once, and 4 fish would stock a 20 gallon tank. Some fish that would work:

Clown fish
Bangaii cardnals
Pajama cardnal
Six line wrasse
Orange striped wrasse
Flasher wrasse
Bicolor blenny
Scissor tail dartfish
Royal gramma
Yellow watchman goby

All easy fish

When they say hard fish to take care of how hard are they what do you have to do?

Belladog0 said:
When they say hard fish to take care of how hard are they what do you have to do?

Picky eaters, need specific conditions, die easily, prone to desieses, etc

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Picky eaters, need specific conditions, die easily, prone to desieses, etc

I am thinking about coral but it's expensive and it's hard to take care of.

Some corals are very easy to take care of the two most important things is water conditions and lighting for most. Figure out what kind of lighting and how much you have then start researching.

When stocking if you want to do a reef keep that in mind some fish aren't reef safe others aren't invertebrate safe. Here is a good place to start researching fish Nano Fish take in to consideration temperament and remember the more fish the more their bickering there will be over prime real estate. Always start with the known least aggressive fish and wait between 2 weeks and 4 to add the next one.

Welcome to AA! I know I am jumping in a little later here....but I would also look into Clown Gboies. There are a few different kinds, and they are very cool little fish. :)

For a twenty gallon tank I would suggest only three fish. Any more than that and you`ll have bio load problems.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha okay is the tank cycled? First of all, i suggest going VERY slow. First week get 5 hermits and 5 snails with a shrimp. Next week maybe get a fish. Then maybe 1 more fish every 2 weeks or so. Do not add multiple fish at once.

I don't quite agree with this. You need to keep the BB fed with some sort of ammonia. A small CUC will not release enough ammonia to help sustain the BB. As soon as the water tests free of ammonia and Trites I would suggest adding a fish, even two if they were relatively small. Starting with only CUC could cause potential problems such as loss in BB but also there wouldn't be anything for the CUC to eat.
Also, being a new tank and vulnerable to parameter swings, the shrimp going in during week one could be a fatal move.

Back
Top Bottom