Best starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have suggestions on a reef safe starfish for a 29 gal.? I don't want a brittle star. Maybe a red linkia??

what about a serpent star.. just got a tiger myself.. got a nice discount too, poor guy has all of his arms picked halway off.. but he seems to be eating and hiding alriight :D why didn't you like the brittle star out of curiosity.. are you looking for color.. specific shape?

Good luck w/ the star electrobes. I don't like the long, "spider like" legs. Put it this way, spiders and I don't get along! I want something colorful, with the "standard "star shape.

as a very general rule of thumb, if they have the fat legs, what you call "standard star shape" they are not going to be reef safe.

Linckia's are very difficult to keep and get quite large, too large for a small tank.

Hara pretty much said it.. I tell you though that the serpent stars or even the brittle stars are very good stars, entertaining to watch.. and best yet you hardly see them because they love to hide and scavenge at night. The stars you're thinking of always have problems in reefs, and some people without reefs have whats called chocolate chip stars, but they still don't seem too enthusiastic about them...

I had a sea star for about 2 months...thats what the LFS called "him", he was on the heater when it kicked on, and the room was cold so it got HOT fast... He's gone now. It was orange w/ black spots all over, classic star shape, w/ 6 legs. What about a red linkia for a 29 Gal (45 Lbs LR. DSB). I plan on going bigger within 12 months. (I've relocated the heater since)

Linckia's are very difficult to keep, as I said in a previous post.

I have found that serpents are very mild mannered and peacful. I dont like spiders either but my crabs remind me a lot more of spiders than my serpent does... :D if you get one, you will like him I bet.

The serpents are fun to pick up and let them zoom around on your hand. They are actually quite unspiderlike.

Hope that helps a little bit, tell us if you break down and get one 8O

Heye everyone while on the subject.. for a 45G tall.. I have one serpent star (recovering but his arms being in halves) but I want to get another.. either another serpent or a brittle star.. should I do this or should I let Hope (my injured starfish from the LFS) be alone in the tank for now?

what about a starfish for a 90 gallon FOWLR? i mayy be upgrading to reef, and may start out with a few low lights.
what are my options and what would u recomend? i have no experiance with stars but i do with other fish..

Back
Top Bottom