*Best way for Nitrate Removal?**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what is the best way to remove or lower nitrates? I see kits chemicals, I know water changes work but I want to keep them eliminated as much as possible I see about OS systems. What does everyone think?? Thanks

The best way to remove nitrates is through water changes. Why do you want to eliminate them? Water changes not only lower nitrates but also replenish your trace elements that are necessary for your corals to thrive.

Ditto on what Fluff said. Water changes are best. You could always get a Nitrate sponge, but that will only help get rid of the little bit your water change doesn't. Even with a Nirate sponge you still need to do water changes.

Nitrates sure, but I wouldn't put too much stock in changes being your source of trace element replenishment. A good test will show for almost any salt a decline in nitrates (merely due to the removal of the water and dillution with fresh water) and will also show over a given period a decline in other essential elements. I have not found a salt mix yet that I would personally say will take the place of dosing certain elements. Also, They do make (And I have used for a year now successfully) De-nitrators. They are not hard to diy should you be so inclined.

GL!

I have never dosed trace elements to my tank nor do I feed my corals but maybe once a month if I feel like it. I've had my corals for two years and everything is growing and thriving. If you are using a good salt mix, you shouldn't have to dose anything. I use IO, and if you read the side of the bucket, it states that it contains every major and minor trace elements necessary for the health of most delicate marine fish and inverts. Mine must be in the "most" catagory since everything seems to be doing great. JMO

XXFirefighter said:
Can also use clams and Mangrove trees to help reduce em...
Do you know of any clams, not in the tridacna family, that can be bought to put in the sump for nitrate removal?

A proper feeding routine, good source water-RO or RO/DI, regular water changes, and a good skimmer are good ways to lower nitrates and keep them in check. FWIW, it's never a good idea to add anything to your tank you don't test for, and quite often it's unnecessary IME.

sweet... so you do they just like feed off of the same thing that feather dusters and other filter feeders do?

I agree, the best way to lower NO3 is by doing water changes. the best way to keep them down is to add more biological filtration (LR) and reduce the livestock and feedings. Over-stocking and over-feeding are the most common causes of hight NO3. I do not dose trace elements either. I to rely on regular water changes to replenish the depleted trace elements.

Back
Top Bottom