Binding Live Rock and things to my live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am at a point where I need to put my live rock together in ways that aren't very stable for the shape of my pieces of live rock. I don't want to wake up one morning to see that my aquascape has collapsed. I also like to change my aquascape on occassion.

Now the question: Is there an adhesive for marine aquariums that is not "Saw it apart later" permanent? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wes

I have heard of people drilling holes through the rock and then using Zip-ties to bind them together. Other than that the only thing that comes to mind is the marine epoxies.... But like you said getting them apart later might be a lot of work.

Drilling and using plastic ties is certainly an option. The epoxy works well too. My experience with the epoxy is that it works more like mortar than glue. I've never had trouble getting rock apart that was glued with epoxy and I wouldn't trust it unless you have a good bit of surface on each rock for it to adhere to. JMHO.

Why do you want to change things around once you got a good thing goin? Taking the rock out and moving it around will cause things in the tank (levels) to become unstable... I'd get it to where you want it and leave it...

I have read that it can be important to move things around when introducing new fish, to help break up territories and cause the fish to make new territories. How much truth is in that

Wes

I sometimes move some rocks around to "tweak" my aquascape, but you should limit it ,because you stress your fishout...

You can also drill small holes and use little plastic stakes or tubes. Or build the foundation out of PVC supports. I personally just stacked it together. My 55g is not exactly wide enough to do too many creative things :)

I agree that moving rock is an option to keep open. New fish, new coral frags on rock to obtain and situate, etc, etc.

Not to highjack, but what works well underwater?? Got small frags on small rocks, shells and stuff that need affixing - while underwater, wet. :?

Back
Top Bottom