bio-balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

microd0t

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been getting mixed reviews on bio-balls, what's your opinion on them and what should be substituted for them?

I'm running bio balls on my 180g

I've heard that they are ok for a FOWLR tank but not reef or mixed tanks

Use a good protein skimmer when using bio balls

They are a nitrate factory I've heard, there is to much space for nitrates to get trapped.

Alternatives would be a sump with live rock or a refugium. I'm not sure about using live rock ruble in place of bio balls since it doesn't stay submerged.

For now I'm sticking with bio balls until it doesn't work for me

Interested in hearing everyone else's opinion

Alot of people substitute live rock rubble for them. The nitrifying bacteria grows on the surfaces of the rubble and does not trap as much dirt and waste as bioballs. I`m getting ready to do it with my bioballs soon.

I might do that pretty soon. If its better than the bio balls

Alot of people substitute live rock rubble for them. The nitrifying bacteria grows on the surfaces of the rubble and does not trap as much dirt and waste as bioballs. I`m getting ready to do it with my bioballs soon.

I think I'm going to substitute the bio balls for the ruble here in the near future. But what are the rules for that? Should it be totally submerged? Or. Still use the trickle filter? Get rid of the trickle wet/dry? Or just put the lr ruble in there instead of the bio balls and let it tickle still? Well mine is more than a trickle really. I'm doing a 1200gph mag 12 return. So what do you think about this

I wondered the same thing, I think I'm going to make a refugium out of my sump but then again what do I do with my bio balls just fill it with filter media or LR? Whats your opinions on it?

I'm guessing toss the balls and fill the area with lr ruble

I would think that stacking LR rubble where the bio balls go would just cause the same effect, could I maybe just use a big sponge?

Well the live rock ruble has a lot more surface to grow nitrifying bacteria and less spots to trap nitrates. This is what I'm thinking, I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure

Bio balls are great in freshwater setups bit ove never used them in any saltwater tanks. Always used top of the line skimmer and live rock

I'm useing the sea clone 150 on my 20 gal so I'm thinking of useing that and getting a 40 gal turning my 20 into a refuge

I've had two FOWLR tanks with bio-balls in the built-in filtration in the back (not a sump underneath type). Both tanks had ZERO problems with nitrates...ever To me, I do not understand how live rock/rubble would catch less than the balls. I'd think lots of small rock would catch all sorts of detritus.

I have mine set up slightly different than factory now, versus my completely stock setup many years ago. Now, the water comes from my tank into the first of three chambers. Nothing exciting in there. The water goes from that chamber into the second chamber from the top. I believe that normally has a plastic trickle plate where the water drips down into the bio balls. I replaced that plate with a big sponge. That catches all the waste and I clean that out every week or two. Maybe that "catching the detritus" saves the bioballs from becoming nitrate factories? That water goes into the third chamber from the bottom and is pumped back out into the tank. My Trates are always at close to zero.

I've considered adding something like cheato into the third chamber, but not sure if it would get enough light and whether I should mess that is working for me now.

That's good to know, my tank has only been running salt for 3 weeks now. So I'm not gonna mess with anything right now.

Water runs thought a fine filter pad in the drip tray and then trickles over the bio balls then to the return. It's working good right now so maybe I will just leave it until it doesn't work any more.

I have a slight lingering nitrate around 10 - 20ppm I vodka dose and wc every week. I'm thinking my problem lies someware in my bio balls or sump some wqr

It helps a benifical bacteria that eats nitrates and the ethynol lowers oxygen in the water and reduces algae growth. You only use a small small amount my 20 gal just over 25 with sump then add a little water displacement rounds back to about 20 gals so I use 5 to 8 drops depending on how bad the algae blooms

You also need to be running your protien skimmed I forgot to add

Ohhh, nice I'm gonna have to remember that. Thanks

It's pretty crazy to see how much junk starts collecting in your skimmer

Back
Top Bottom