Bio color angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferny27

Aquarium Advice Activist
So today for the Fourth of July I went to my usual aquarium store and there was a huge sale . I saw a bio color angel that I really fell in love with. I asked him if it was reef safe and he said " yes it's a dwarf and they are safe with coral ." So I went and bought it. Now I just put him in and I'm noticing that he is picking at all my brains on the sand bed . I called the store and told them off. They told me to bring it back . But how the hell do I get him out between 300 lbs of rock? Do they eat a lot of coral? Do I feed him more food?

They are grazers, so they will continously nibble throughout the day. The LFS lied to you, angels are never reef safe. Dont feed any more than normal, thatll do more damage than good. My advice, feed him flakes by dropping them on the surface of the water. While they are still floating and he is munching at the top of the water away from rock, swoop in a get trap him with a net or better yet a clear livestock holder.
Then call your LFS and say "**** you."

They are grazers, so they will continously nibble throughout the day. The LFS lied to you, angels are never reef safe. Dont feed any more than normal, thatll do more damage than good. My advice, feed him flakes by dropping them on the surface of the water. While they are still floating and he is munching at the top of the water away from rock, swoop in a get trap him with a net or better yet a clear livestock holder.
Then call your LFS and say "**** you."

Love those words! Sounds like something I would say

That's a bummer. The flake trick works well with an 8" net or if you are fast and have good aim the small net might work. That's how I catch my cichlids when there holding I stand there with my big net and when they come out to eat SWOOSH ! Good luck catching it.

He is new to the tank so he is very shy right now , he still gets scared when I walk near the tank

I took me 3 days before I could catch the last one I just stood there with all the lights off except the tank light with thehoods open and the net in my hand just above the water every timei would feed and finally she came close enough to the surface long enough to swoop in and get her on the first shot. I'm sure you can do it.

Hope so or else all my coral will die , I have spent soo much money already I can't afford a 15.00$ fish to kill it all. I feel like stabbing the dam fish

Look to see if the fish stays in a certain area then setup some nets or traps in that area and wait until the fish swims in. It may take a few days for the angel to feel safe with all the nets.

So, is it actually eating the corals or just pecking at the rock?

Dwarf angels are reef safe "with caution". Some will be model citizens, others will not. It is the luck of the fish you get. I've seen dozens of reef tanks with a variety of angels and they work well most of the time. Its always good to check places like liveaquaria if you are not sure. I no longer trust most LFSs because they do a lot of "it could work" or "it will probably be okay". If you know the risk, then you can make a better call on whether you should purchase any given fish on any given day.

I always google the fish before i buy it jus to make sure its reef safe, If its not reef safe I wouldn't risk the chance of have a "reef safe - with caution" fish destroy your corals. Good luck catching him

I have 2 dwarf angels in reef tanks
both are model citizens never touch corals yes they peck around them but thats about it
my one reef is all softies the other is SPS,LPS,softies
the only thing they nip at are the clams but that seems to have slowed since I moved the clams to a less active part of the tanks
I have more concern about my clowns messing with my corals than my angels

Well the angel is now stressed out and hiding .

Back
Top Bottom