Bio wheel filters media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bio wheel filters i have a 55 gallon tank with protein skimmer and 2 bio wheel filters a 350 and a 200... I have ha my tank up for just under 2 years should I continue to use the carbon filters or should I stop using the carbon and leave it empty or use other media ... My tank is mixed fish and soft corals....

My lfs owner told me you need 3 types of filtration in a healthy tank. Mechanical, biological, and chemical (carbon). My recommendation would be to keep the carbon in. He has tanks that have been running for 20 years that he uses carbon in.

The carbon is always something that confuses me it's labeled as water clarifier and medicine remover so there for is it neccesary to use on a everyday basis? I've gone without it on my freshwater for over a year now and everything's fine.

I never use carbon. It only removes medications and odors. Not really a must, plus I've heard its only good for a couple weeks before replacement is needed.

Back
Top Bottom