Bio Wheel or No Bio Wheel - How is my filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If using tap you should always use a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime or similar to remove chlorine, chloramine and ammonia that could be present in your tap water.

If your tap water tests high for nitrates, you'll have to use a refugium or a DSB to remove nitrates. Water changes will only help if the new water has less nitrates than the old.

Yes, an RO system would be a very good way to go. They will get rid of the nitrates in your tap water, so the new salt mix will be nitrate free, and water changes will bring your tank nitrates down. RO also reduces any contaminants that might be in your water, and most come with a carbon cartridge that removes chloriene as well. An RO system is alot less trouble than a refugium.

A refugium is a seperate tank or compartment where macroalgae or xenia is grown to remove nitrates. There are hang-on-back and in-tank refugiums if you want to keep it simple, but for major nitrite removal, you're probably better off building a refugium into a sump system. The refugium needs a bright light, and a steady flow of water from the main aquarium. The macroalgaes and Xenia bind nutrients as they grow, then you can prune them back to completely remove those nutrients from the system.

Nitrates still high

Well,

I removed my Pengiun... its unpluged, so that got rid of my bio wheel problem... It seems to cause less bubbles in the tank which is also good.

I also removed all media from my Eheim canister filter...

I've done several water changes and my nitrates are still around 20+ I think its time to get a Reverse Osmosis kit...

Back
Top Bottom