Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Blood shrimp and crab compatibility question

I have a 75g FOWLR system. Used to have one blood shrimp, very beautiful but hid a lot in the rocks. Was thinking of getting maybe 2 this time.. Would they end up getting more social and come out more if I paired them up?

Also I used to have a few small hermit crabs. Seems like after a while - 1-2 years they sort of die off, possibly from eating each other? Maybe during molting periods? I think this is how I lost my shrimp.

I'd like to keep one or the other or both and have them all be cool with each other.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443983069.247664.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	278821Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443983097.598997.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	278822

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

stan450z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
my fire shrimp isn't as social as my scarlet reef shrimp they get along with about everything in my tank I have all types of crabs also a lobster but things get along fine

Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Generally, these are much more private than skunk cleaners. You might get a few of them and all of them hide. Are you making sure these creatures have enough to eat? I know many folks who just think they will find food on the rocks or something, but Judging by those pictures you posted, those rocks look like there isn't much to eat on them. If I am keeping nutrient levels down and cutting back on feeding, I would hand feed my shrimp, just to be sure they are definitely getting something and not missing out because the fish picked everything off before it hit the sand.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I recently added one to my tank. There was already a pair of cleaner shrimp (they rule the tank...LOL)
a female camel shrimp, an emerald crab and 3-4 hermits.
The first day the camel shrimp and the fire shrimp had a squabble over a rock overhang and the fire shrimp lost one claw in the scuffle. But now they have all settled down and no more actual fights, just the occasional "GET OUTA MY YARD!" type of stuff.

The fire shrimp has molted once and has this ridiculous "baby arm" claw now, just hoping it will grow back to full size over the next few molts.
I'm lucky in that this guy isn't extremely bashful and often cruises around and definitely isn't shy or timid when it comes to feeding time.......LOL
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

blood, compatibility, crab, question, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com