Blue Dot Sting Ray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would you like to know? I know they wont do good in the 450 hahaha.. that was a personal joke your tanks amazing. They arnt reef safe.. run @ 300 bucks..

Reason I said personal joke was in regards to me stating to the wife. I wanted a 400 gallon tank, she stated over her dead body..my reply was if that is where you would like it.

They get about 9 inches in diameter. As well deep enough sand bed to cover itself .. buddy feeds his pieces of shrimp but im pretty sure he almost lost from it not feeding at first

I have a 75 gal I'm going to tie into the 450. Set some frag racks up high. My girl friend loves them. Thought I'd get a small one for now. The big tank won't be finished for 3 yrs when our new house is being built. I'll switch the 75 for a 150 depending on the growth rate. Just wondering how well they acclimate to captivity.

I'll throw this in there . Rays need special sand so you don't scratch their underside . I got mine at petsmart of all places

A 75 if they are really small maybe 2-3 inches in diameter. I don't know how long it takes them to hit max size however I will mention they are prone to diseases

I think Cortez stingray are a better option. They are actually hardier and smaller they are supposed to have a growth rate of about 1.5-2 inches a year. Only get 14 inches long with tail. Disk size about 8 in. Blue spots can get 30" max.

SWSCJ said:
Bluespotted ribbontail ray is the one we want to go with. 14" is the max disc size.

It wont hit 14 in a home aquarium. Safe bet to say around 10

Actually they can attain the max size, but growth rates reduce considerably over time so it'll just take a few years or more if cared for properly. Taeniura lymma is rather difficult to care for, mainly due to new arrivals needing to be force-fed to prevent starvation and deworming. IME, 450g isn't large enough unless it is a custom tank and even then, prob. limiting yourself to a single ray with limited rockwork in the grand scheme of things.

Wanting to find one 3-5" to put in a 75 gal no rock, just sand. I have a 150 I could switch out later. The 1800 gallon tank is 2 to 3 yrs out.

I just wouldn't do it until you have the 1800. Something could go wrong the. Your stuck with a 30" ray in 75.

First of all a 3-5" ray will be fine in a 75. I said I have a 150, it's a standby tank in case I have a problem with my 450. And if for some reason there is a delay with the 1800 I'll pull one of my buddy's old frag tanks and set that up. Dimensions 8'Lx4'Wx2'D. I'm just trying to get someone's "personal" experience with this particular fish. Eating habits, lighting, temperament, etc from someone that actually owns one.

Their eating habits, temperament, etc. are characteristic of just about every ray available to hobbyists, are there any specific questions you have relating to?

I know you don't want to hear from someone who doesn't have a blue dot. But this is coming from someone who owns a ray. Once they are comfortable they will swim all over the tank. They may knock down the frag rack depending on how sturdy it is.

I have 9 different tangs, not all of them require the same care, needs, or eating habits....I just wanted somebody's day in and day out experience with this particular ray that they owned. Thanks for the input.

Appreciate the feedback Squidy07.

Back
Top Bottom