Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Blue green algae

I am hoping someone can help me this is my 2nd outbreak of blue green algae.... First one went away but turned red and came back... I did 50% water change everything went back to normal.... When
I do water changes I try to vaccum as much as I can up but I have a fine sand bed so it's hard to get it up.... I need help in a few ways... Is there better way to vaccum fine sand and what can I do to stop the blue green.... I know I will probably get " you have too many fish" but I donated few of my fish... My tank is as follows

60gal
Biowheel 350 filter
Biowheel 200 filter
Protein skimmer
1000gph power head(have 2-1300gph didn't put in because I didn't know if sand is good blowing around... Should I swap out for more water flow or add 1??)
35lbs base rock
13lbs live rock
265watt t5 lights
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Alkalinity 2.6
Ph 8.0
Calcium 360
Salinity 1.23
Temperature 79
My tank is stocked with...
Hippo tang
Scopas tang
2 clown fish
2 damsels
1 fire fish
Sally light foot crab
Purple nudibranch
3 sebae anemones
1 small leather frag
2 small Duncan frags
1 small acan frag

Any insight would help... Also my tank size is 48w 13d the inside of the stand is 47w 11d I want to get a sump but can't find one small to fit the depth... Thanks

Ps I feed 1/2 cube daily and nori sheet pcs every other day or so.... Lights on 8 hours a day.... Sorry for lengthy post please help!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You tested for phosphates? Frozen cube food is likely full of it. I rinsed mine in FW to remove the frozen liquids.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually no that's the one test I didn't have.... Would that be causing the outbreak.... Do you feed frozen everyday or should I mix with flakes and pellets?.... Thanks...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

you should be feeding every other day, say frozen monday, then some pellets/flake on wednesday, etc. overfeeding could definitely be a cause
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I deed every other day how often should I give nori sheets??
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

up to you, you could do it on say frozen day or pellet day
Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
closed systems (our tanks) are very easy to pollute. think about every piece of food we add to it. that doesn't come out until we take it out.
along with keeping the feeding to a minimum, you should also be using every tool at your disposal to remove what you put in.
water changes and a good quality protein skimmer are the 2 main things. phosphate and nitrate removal media is also an option.

this is another reason folks should be careful how they stock their tanks. overstocked, an aquarium stops being enjoyable, and starts being a relentless uphill battle to keep from killing everything/ the tank looking ugly.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just got home checked phosphates and they are at 2.0 is this real bad and maybe what could be causing the algae or bacteria??.... Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Your tap water can start it. The frozen cube water can add to it. Doesn't take much.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is it something I need to fix right away or can it wait for my next water change??...thanks for help

Tags
algae, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com