Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Blue/Green Chromis

So here is an interesting question...I have 2 chromises and 1 bicolored blenny in a 30g tank. The chromises have been in the tank for near a month now and have been hapily eating mysis and brine shrimp (before adding the blenny) but have never tried to eat algea off the tank wall. Since adding the blenny, they now mimic the blenny and pick at the algea on the glass. Has anyone seen this before and is this abnormal eating activities for this fish?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont see anything abnormal about it. Most fish will pick off the glass and rocks.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Monkey see, monkey do.

I had a single clown that wouldn't go near any anemone, but as soon as I put another one in with him that did like anemones, he all the sudden can't live without it.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

mine do the samething!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is one of the more interesting things I have seen them do. Now their new "thing" is to sort of dance infront of the blenny's hiding spot and entice him to come out. It is like they are teasing him to come out and play but when he comes out of hiding, they bolt across the tank, turn back around and stare at him. They are interesting little fish.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

They really are very interesting. My chromis picks at the glass too, it's pretty amusing to watch. Do your two have any aggression issues? I know it's different with each individual fish but most people have told me to get an odd number of chromis, that's why I only have 1.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi. I have 4 beautiful chromises. I haven't seen any agression between them. In fact my two clowns love swimming with them. The largest chromis has taken up residence between two LRs and chases any fish that comes near it, but it has never shown any agression on the rest of the fish. I think they're great to watch.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do see a little aggressoin between the chromises but it comes from the smaller fish(minimal difference) towards the bigger fish but not the blenny. It rarely happens but from time to time I see it.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

That sounds ok to me. They're probably finding their place in the tank pecking order. Keep an eye on them. You'll know if it gets violent. Take out the agressor and put the fish in a holding tank for a few days. Then place him/her back in the main tank. That might help.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have two, the newest addition to my tank 2 days ago. After I got home I was reading and found that one source suggested 6 or more as they do better with more than with fewer. I have 4 more on order now. The first day I added them I noticed a couple of hours later that one was missing. I seached all over the tank then my overflow area. Nothing, thought maybe my goby had a meal of chromis. I later went to change the filter and there he was, swimming around on top of my filter tray. Must have been a wild ride for him to get there. I would call it a e-ticket ride! He hasn't been near the overflow since. Is better for me as now they swim out front and not hide in the rocks.

110 Gallon FOWLR, 25 Gallon sump/refugium.
Raimond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chromis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com