Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've sold them but never kept one. Tank has very little coral mainly just what I couldn't get off when I sold everything else. Even though they are reef safe trigger I am not worried about that. Only inverts are a horse show crab, urchins, and some starfish. But how aggressive are these triggers. My fear is i have a small snowflake and some smaller clowns. Only want knowledge from someone that owns/owned a blue jaw not links to pages

Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
I've sold them but never kept one. Tank has very little coral mainly just what I couldn't get off when I sold everything else. Even though they are reef safe trigger I am not worried about that. Only inverts are a horse show crab, urchins, and some starfish. But how aggressive are these triggers. My fear is i have a small snowflake and some smaller clowns. Only want knowledge from someone that owns/owned a blue jaw not links to pages
Mine lives in a 300 gallon reef with lots of other fish. He is VERY active, but a model citizen. He is growing fast and I wonder if I will be able to keep him even in this 300 gallon. I can hand feed him and even pick him up. He's about 5" long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-671249495.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	196365  

Old 09-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had one years ago in a 75g (I know, I know...too small tank) but even in what I now know are tight quarters, he was a model citizen. Only time it showed any aggression was at feeding time and that was more going after fish that took something he wanted.

I liked it so much, I want to get a pair for my 240g now. I can't imagine that not being large enough (prior comment worries me now).
Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I just watch him as he flies a route he has established in my tank over and over again. It's like he is nervously pacing. He watches everything that happens outside his tank. Like tangs, when they get big they need swimming room and the more the better. These guys are the wolves of the sea and cover large territories.

But triggerfish are about as cool as fish get IMO. They are obviously smarter than their other tank mates.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine used to have his "path" too. Stinks in hindsight that the tank was too small...he seemed okay and I had him for years. That was pre-Internet days when people trusted what their LFS said (gasp).
Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Mine used to have his "path" too. Stinks in hindsight that the tank was too small...he seemed okay and I had him for years. That was pre-Internet days when people trusted what their LFS said (gasp).
Remember, these fish have a natural life span of decades. I don't consider it a success unless I can get them to that age before they die. My oldest is a 18 year old coral beauty. That's why I always ask how long they have had the fish.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I have a 210 with a two mounds of rocks on each side. The clown trigger I had in there before just swam a figure 8 all day until he saw me then he would go to the top of the water and spit at me. Too bad it bit me and had to go my only worry is the clowns(2.5") and a lawnmower blenny (4"). The trigger is only about 3.5" so maybe they will be too big for him to bother for now. If not ill move them to my 55 and bring the coral beauty over. Do you think the trigger will bother my snowflake eel?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Well I have a 210 with a two mounds of rocks on each side. The clown trigger I had in there before just swam a figure 8 all day until he saw me then he would go to the top of the water and spit at me. Too bad it bit me and had to go my only worry is the clowns(2.5") and a lawnmower blenny (4"). The trigger is only about 3.5" so maybe they will be too big for him to bother for now. If not ill move them to my 55 and bring the coral beauty over. Do you think the trigger will bother my snowflake eel?
No. He will ignore him.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

No. He will ignore him.
Good maybe this will be a good experience for me with triggers since my last one drew blood
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mine will bite sometimes too. It's in their nature and unfortunately I found out too late that getting them use to you can back fire.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com