Blue Jaw Trigger + Porcupine Puffer in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you think that a medium Blue Jaw Trigger and a medium Porcupine a Puffer will get along in a. 35 g QT for a while for observation? I'm thinking of picking those up over the holiday break, but I've never had a Porc before, so I'm not sure about that pairing during the observation/ QT period.

The second option is get a Decorated or Spotted Rabbitfish with the Trigger and do the Porc after they are out of QT.

How big is the puffer? When I had to go fallow with my tank 2 years ago I had a very hard time keeping parameters in check with the amount they eat in a 45 gallon and that was without another big eater . I would recommend qt the puffer alone unless it is under 3 inches.

you're going to have parameter issues with those two fish in that size tank I would think. I QT just my niger trigger and clown trigger when they were 3-4" each in my 55 QT i set up and i was having to change the water pretty quick to keep the ammonia levels low enough. I did start adding that topfin bacteria in a bottle once a day and it actually helped convert the ammonia and nitrite but i was still wasting a lot of water.

Yeah, that was a concern too, but I figured one fish or two fish was not going to make a huge difference, but maybe it will. Maybe the Porc by itself would be best.

I'm not sure in the size on the Porc...they say Medium, so I'm guessing 3-5"? I'm going to try a guy on Craigslist that is running a business out of his garage. His prices are about half, or less, what my LFS charge and less than the LFSs in my old stomping grounds in Orange County. You tell him what you want and he gets it from a wholesaler in Los Angeles on Saturday and you can pick up the next day. Trigger will be $30 versus $85 locally...puffer is $21 versus $40-$45 locally...bicolor Chromis are $3 versus $9 locally (and $12 online)...and so on.

Both fish are messy eaters and phosphate factories. I sure would do one at a time. A year ago I added a blue jaw to my 300 and he really changed the levels of organics noticeably.

Back
Top Bottom