blue regal tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
i don't understand why the blue is bigger than the yellow and they say you need 55 gal for blue and 75 for yellow and the blue gets two inches bigger.is the blue less active?the store i go to has a baby blue but they told me they get diseases easy

Both Yellow and Blue Regal tangs need at least 6 feet of swimming space, basically a 125+ gallon tank. Both are equally active. They get stressed and can get growth stunts in smaller tanks.

In a 75 gallon tank, you could have a Kole Tang. I have one in my 90 and it swims around all day looking for algae.

why do the marine books give those gallon recommendations

why do the marine books give those gallon recommendations
How old is the marine book? If it is old, then it could be outdated information. If it is recent, then it is flat-out wrong. A Blue Tang cannot live in a 55 gallon tank, and a Yellow Tang should not be in a 75.

Many people have different opinions on how large a tank Tangs need. LiveAquaria is usually a trusted site. 125+s for each is usually what is recommended though.

Yellow Tang care link (this one says 100 gallon minimum) : Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Tang - Hawaii

Blue Regal Tang care link (this one says 180 gallon) : Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

Ya I would say 125+ for both fish and MOST tangs. Alot need bigger tanks. You never really see big blue tangs IF you dont have one, and I went to a place the other doay where its was 1'+. Never stopped swimming.

Look at it this way. Are you more comfortable living in a 20x20 room or a 4x6 room.

Gallons is an outdated way of looking at things. Actual amount of length, width, and height are what you should go by. A standard 125g(72x18x24) is fine for most tangs except the jumbo ones. The more room they have, the happier they are. No matter what fish

Thats because a lot of them are not kept in tanks of adequate size and that stunts their growth. Sure it will sirvive but if you want to live in a bathroom for your whole life and then tell me a yellow tang can live in a 75g ill believe you.

The bathroom analogy is flawed. A 6" fish with 48" of vertical swimming space and 18" of back to front swimming space is not like me living in a bathroom.

Sorry didn't mean to sound that mean I was in a bad mood lol. They should be in 125s tho, they'll live in a 75.

Back
Top Bottom