Blue spot puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toffeepooh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a blue spot puffer like 2 hours ago from a local mom pop fish store. I was looking at the puffer for good 30 mins before deciding to buy it. It appears to be healthy and swimming happily at the store.

I then proceed to about 30 mins acclaiming using the drip and changing 10% water while waiting for the drip in a separate tank.

As soon asi put the puffer inside my new 75 gallon tank. It started to swim sideway and drifting side by side. Why is it doing this?

I also tested my water with 0.25 amm, 0 nit. 0 nat, 5 phosphate, 420 cal. Rodi water.

I placed my yellow tang and a box puffer in this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This tank has been up and running for 1 month now. No dead fish no corals just live rocks and sand with fish

Oh forgot a engineering goby and snails

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413598700.093618.jpg

It looks like it got a broke back as the back is at an angle.

Could it be while moving it into the tank some how I break it's back bone?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413598785.408690.jpg

It looks like the half hour drip wasn't enough and seems to be suffering from shock. How much water did you drip and was it temperature acclimated? I doubt it's a broken back.

It's dead now. I brought the dripping thing from BRS store. The temperature is about 78.

It's dead now. I brought the dripping thing from BRS store. The temperature is about 78.

That sucks :( Was the temperature of both the tank and the water the fish was in the same? How many gallons of water did you drip into the container he was being held in?

The temperature was the same. However the water inside the bag from the store it wasn't that much. I was kind of wondering why so little water. It was just enough to go over the body of the water.

When I got home I immediately places the bag inside the tank to acclaim the temperature. 15 mins later I took the bag out and place it into a tank with same temp for water dripping. I used the same water that is from the tank it's going into. About a full cup.

Having any traceable ammonia could also be the cause here. Any reason why your reading ammonia? The tanks been properly cycled right?

Yes it's circled. my guess is I prolly over feed a bit.

What was the salinity of the water from the lfs? IME most lfs run their fish systems at about 1.020-1.015, which takes a while to drip the sg til they match.

Did you test the water from the lfs? Also agree with bectan, ammonia should never be found in a cycled tank.

Having any traceable ammonia could also be the cause here. Any reason why your reading ammonia? The tanks been properly cycled right?

I am assuming it's an API test kit. It's near impossible to tell the difference between 0 and 0.25ppm

The temperature was the same. However the water inside the bag from the store it wasn't that much. I was kind of wondering why so little water. It was just enough to go over the body of the water.

When I got home I immediately places the bag inside the tank to acclaim the temperature. 15 mins later I took the bag out and place it into a tank with same temp for water dripping. I used the same water that is from the tank it's going into. About a full cup.

Using a cup of water isn't nearly enough. I have to point the finger at shock from acclimation.

Heres a guide on drip acclimating
Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

Yea it's API test kit. A cup but the cup itself is about mug size.

I been doing it this way for all my fish and none die. Not to mention this one died in like 2 hours.

I been doing it this way for all my fish and none die. Not to mention this one died in like 2 hours.

Alright, if you say so.

But the only thing that would cause a fish to have problems the moment it hits your water is shock. Whether it's from ph, temperature, or salinity something didn't match up and caused the fish to die.

I know something isn't right, just couldn't tell which is it

Back
Top Bottom