Blue Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nat_a126

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has any one had experience with a blue starfish, or starfish in general (please state the name)? Are they difficult to care for and what are their living requirements?

Many starfish, like the linckia starfish you are talking about, are difficult to keep. Linckia just because we don't know what they eat...others like sand sifters consume so much of from the sandbed they usually starve to death. Brittle and serpent stars are the easiest, reef safe starfish you can keep.

Many starfish, like the linckia starfish you are talking about, are difficult to keep. Linckia just because we don't know what they eat...others like sand sifters consume so much of from the sandbed they usually starve to death. Brittle and serpent stars are the easiest, reef safe starfish you can keep.

Will brittle and serpents eat your inverts? (Snails)

I've heard that the Linkia stars are also difficult because they can not be exposed to air. If they are, it will kill them, just not instantly (I do not know the reason behind this). Since you don't know how they have been handled on their journey from the ocean to your tank, you have a potential deadly unknown to factor in.

I've heard that the Linkia stars are also difficult because they can not be exposed to air. If they are, it will kill them, just not instantly (I do not know the reason behind this). Since you don't know how they have been handled on their journey from the ocean to your tank, you have a potential deadly unknown to factor in.

Okay thanks. They said it's been alive for a few months in their tank.

It can take them months to starve/waste away. Having it months means nothing IMO. Leave them in the ocean where they belong.

It can take them months to starve/waste away. Having it months means nothing IMO. Leave them in the ocean where they belong.

Okay thanks I've never had experience with starfish so I appreciate all of your info

Yeah stick to serpent stars or brittle stars. If you want a really cool one check this guy out, it's orangehttp://www.fishsupplyunderwater.com/cta00-11711.html

Back
Top Bottom