Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,534
Your anemone is a sebea anemone if you were wondering.
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Sebae Anemone

But anyway, in terms of the blue tang...even if the tang is small a 40 g just isn't enough to support a tang of any size. They will just get stressed out and die.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Mr. Crabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 346
I agree with Sniper, but check this out:

Notice the size of the tank and tang. Now don't take this as condoning, but I couldn't help be amazed over the obvious none the less.

Skip to 2 minutes 37 seconds to save some time.

LA Fishguys, Episode 113 pt1, Sixteen Years and 50 Gallons - YouTube
__________________

__________________
where's me money
Mr. Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
baron1282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 926
So what is the best tank size for a Blue Hippo Tang? I know a lot of people that say 75 gallon minimal!! So LA Fishguys would still be wrong. Every site I have been to but two has said 75 gallon minimal with only one saying 55+. One site said 180 gallon minimal. So who is right and who is wrong? I was told by two people that a 90 gallon wouldn't be good for the Blue Hippo, but I also talked to a lot that says a 90 gallon is perfect. I am so confused that I myself won't get a Blue Tang until I have a 125 gallon at least.
__________________
Fish Sticks, the best thing you can do with your dead fish.
baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
willbratz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brandon, Florida
Posts: 769
I have a very happy 4 year old blue regal tang in a 55 gallon tank.
__________________
willbratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
baron1282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 926
LA fishguy is kind of a jerk. :-p
__________________
Fish Sticks, the best thing you can do with your dead fish.
baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Psychocircus91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
So what is the best tank size for a Blue Hippo Tang? I know a lot of people that say 75 gallon minimal!! So LA Fishguys would still be wrong. Every site I have been to but two has said 75 gallon minimal with only one saying 55+. One site said 180 gallon minimal. So who is right and who is wrong? I was told by two people that a 90 gallon wouldn't be good for the Blue Hippo, but I also talked to a lot that says a 90 gallon is perfect. I am so confused that I myself won't get a Blue Tang until I have a 125 gallon at least.

Can a blue tang live healthily in a 75-90? Possibly. Happily? I would say no.
125 minimum for a small to mid sized one, and 180 for a full grown one.
I'm not the tang police, but I do feel that we owe it to the animals to keep them happy. It's better to have a fish too small for the tank, than a tank too small for the fish. These guys get big and they are open water swimmers.
__________________
75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
willbratz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brandon, Florida
Posts: 769
Yes a Blue Regal Tang can live a happy and healthy life within a 75-90 gallon tank. Bigger is always better, but there's nothing wrong with a 75-90 gallon. As I said earlier I have a happy and healthy Blue Regal in my 55 gallon. He likes to be hand fed, likes to graze, and loves the power head flow. He also seems to be the one who keeps the peace between other fish.
__________________
willbratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
willbratz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brandon, Florida
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
LA fishguy is kind of a jerk. :-p
LOL 2 funny
__________________
willbratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
cashmoney6980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Indiana, USA
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz
Yes a Blue Regal Tang can live a happy and healthy life within a 75-90 gallon tank. Bigger is always better, but there's nothing wrong with a 75-90 gallon. As I said earlier I have a happy and healthy Blue Regal in my 55 gallon. He likes to be hand fed, likes to graze, and loves the power head flow. He also seems to be the one who keeps the peace between other fish.
I personally couldn't imagine keeping a regal tang in a 55 gallon. To me, that seems cruel knowing the size they grow to. I'm not by any means bashing you or anything like that, I just personally couldn't do it. And IF I ever did do it, I especially wouldn't have other fish with it... But to each their own... What works for one might not work for the next...
__________________
cashmoney6980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Psychocircus91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmoney6980 View Post

I personally couldn't imagine keeping a regal tang in a 55 gallon. To me, that seems cruel knowing the size they grow to. I'm not by any means bashing you or anything like that, I just personally couldn't do it. And IF I ever did do it, I especially wouldn't have other fish with it... But to each their own... What works for one might not work for the next...
Yeah a one foot fish, in a tank with a one foot width
__________________

__________________
75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.