blue tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first-timer89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it ok to put a 1 inch blue tang in a 20 gallon fowlr? Has a sump. I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon reef in 5-7 mounths. Would this be ok? KUDOS FOR HELP

Cool.... I think.

Will he expect you to buy another with your own money if it dies beofre he can get it?

Just wondering... :roll:

It's not fair on the fish to cram it into such a small space - tangs need swimming and grazing space.

If you move to the 55gal, it still won't be big enough. And, when you uproot the fish and put it in another tank, it's simply not fair.

Choose another fish - I had to come to terms with this a few weeks ago, after having my heart set on a Regal Tang, my 40gallon simply isn't big enough. You reach a stage in the hobby where you gain a lot of respect for the animals and their environment, more-so than just getting a pretty-looking fish!

Don't do it :)

...and, considering blue tangs can be notorius for being ick magnets, his journey to the 210g could be stressful enough to have something bad happen. Have you thought about a yellow eyed kole tang. Lot smaller.

MarkW19 said what I should have a lot earlier in this thread, but I'm not sure you're willing to listen to that.

I agree. It isn't fair to the Tang. In a tank that small, it most likely won't make it due to the amount of stress that will be placed on him. These are open swimmers - The bigger the tank, the better. 4 to 6 foot long tanks minimum IMO.

Mike

I guess you conceeded before I got my last message off. Good show! And kudos to you for taking the advice.

You're already showing singg of being a good fish keeper! :D :D :D

I wound't suggest this one either. Tangs graze on liverock, and need a lot of open space to swim. Sorry man. We just don't want you to make the same mistakes we did when we started. :)

Mike

Liveaquaria.com has some nice pics and info on certain fish, and they are broken down into species which makes it easier to select. The Tang family is probably one of the most popular fish in this hobby, and they are beautiful. Maybe some clown fish perhaps, or even a few blue/green Chromis would look nice in there. Other than that, you can check the site above and cruise through the selection.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom