Bowl with no holes for bully isolation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KittyKatFishGrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased 2 firefish gobies yesterday from the lfs (in the same tank with 4-5 others) acclimated and put them in qt tank they seem fine and were getting along but now that they are out and about 1 is bullying the other slightly. I have placed the bully inside a bowl with no holes inside the tank - is this ok? Will he be alright under there? The strainer didn’t contain him he got out through the slits.IMG_1514701337.429686.jpg

How big is the tank? Firefish will usually fight unless you have a ton or a pair

fish jail that's funny :lol: , I would put the second fire fish back in qt , I sometimes find the best way to avoid bullying is to add fish after lights out this gives everyone time to settle down give them a hour or so .

I myself have used this method several times it's not 100% fool proof but most of the time it works ,

I always had issues introducing new tangs without being bullied , the lights out method seems to help gives the new fish time to settle in before anyone notices the new guy ,

it seems if you can get the new fish in under the radar the other fish are more likely to accept the new comer .

like I said it's not a 100% fool proof but sometimes that extra option is something to look at

Last edited:
It’s a 15g QT.. they’re all new adds...the 2 gobies were together in the lfs tank so I thought they’d be good. I actually figured it wasn’t a good idea and I couldn’t sleep - kept checking on him every hr or so until I just gave up and tried the “lights out” method... When the lights went out tonight they were in a pvc pipe together so I said a prayer that they both are alive n well tomorrow and last the few weeks they will inhabitant the QT.

So Update: The 2 Firefish are getting along great, they sleep together, eat together and swim around together. I transferred them to the DT last night and after hiding in separate spaces til comfy they found each other again. Now the 2 firefish & the cleaner wrasse are sleeping together in the same crevice & the world is a happy place inside of my tank.

If you try to do something like this in the future, make sure that you use something that allows flow through it so there is CO2 exchange. You are likely to drown anything by doing it like originally stated.
Either way, glad things worked out. Aggression is sometimes common during acclimation into a system where territory is already established.

Back
Top Bottom