Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

breaking the bank on water changes

so today i realize how expensive the saltwater hobby can get. here's the story: i just got a 30gal SW tank from a friend and today i decided to get some equipments and necessities

Salt: one bucket of salt is anywhere from $50-$80 and only make close to 150gal of seawater. so if you do a massive water change, you're literally out of $30 or greater. how often do you guys do water changes and is 20% a good percentage?

DIY possible??? there's got to be a way of maintaining the water changes to keep water clean and save money at the same time. all the equipments aside (skimmer, phos reactor, etc), how can people make water changes without breaking the bank? in freshwater, there's no such problem because tap water is generally safe most of the time. How do you make sea salt? these companies obviously have a way of doing so. maybe dry up the sea water and collect the salt crystals?

one last question: i know that morton salt is not a replacement for sea salt. but can you mixing the sea salt and morton salt together if you're in an emergency and the pet stores are closed? maybe a ratio of 1:3 for morton salt to sea salt?

I'm a noob when it comes to SW, i know some questions are silly but, again, please be gentle.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no offense, but salt is pretty cheap, relatively speaking. Especially for a 30 gallon tank. Do a 10% water change weekly. with 150 gallons, this will last you 50 weeks. (nearly a year)

Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post
no offense, but salt is pretty cheap, relatively speaking. Especially for a 30 gallon tank. Do a 10% water change weekly. with 150 gallons, this will last you 50 weeks. (nearly a year)
oh no, that's only half of the story. the instant salt was 8bucks and only mixes 10gal of saltwater. my salinity right now is not where near the normal range. plus, i'm very used to using just tap water for my FW tanks and never thought about paying for a specific type of water
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Well said well said.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
oh no, that's only half of the story. the instant salt was 8bucks and only mixes 10gal of saltwater. my salinity right now is not where near the normal range. plus, i'm very used to using just tap water for my FW tanks and never thought about paying for a specific type of water
buy a large bucket, buying in bulk saves money. once your salinity is at a normal range, water changes will be cheap. Only mixing your first batch is costly typically. You need to invest in an RODI system. It will save you money rather than constantly buying RODI water from a grocery store.

Are you doing fowlr or reef? Many people get away with tap in a fowlr, but that's only if you're sure you never want to do a reef. Even so it is likely you'd have more algae problems with tap.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post

Get a rodi unit buy the salt mix and make your own saltwater. Sounds like you are buying the water not the mix.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
Get a rodi unit buy the salt mix and make your own saltwater. Sounds like you are buying the water not the mix.
no, i bought the salt and mixed it with water myself with a powerhead
Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
buy a large bucket, buying in bulk saves money. once your salinity is at a normal range, water changes will be cheap. Only mixing your first batch is costly typically. You need to invest in an RODI system. It will save you money rather than constantly buying RODI water from a grocery store.

Are you doing fowlr or reef? Many people get away with tap in a fowlr, but that's only if you're sure you never want to do a reef. Even so it is likely you'd have more algae problems with tap.
FOWLR for now because i haven't had much experience with the salty side yet. i will eventually move into the reef tank realm some day. right now it's just a matter of getting used to things and hands dirty/salty
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tap water?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
Tap water?
yes and no. the water is from the faucet but it's "aged" through agitation

Tags
ate, change, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com