Bristle Worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, Just wondering if Bristle Worms Hide in the SAND or are they more living in the rocks? Just asking cause i saw a few worm holes on the side of my glass these pas couple days but they are very tiny but i saw but pretty long just wondering what those little worms are?:2gunfire:

HHHHMMMMM, Wonder what those could be :?.. I saw one and it looked like a Tiny Worm I was trying to get a Picture of it but my Camera Sucks.... Looks like they like to be on the glass where the Diatoms it hard to get 2....

IME just recently (before tank transfer) I had them all over the place....on my rocks and in the sand and up against the glass in the sand....you could see their trails.. I also had them living inside of empty shells as well...

Yes, they can live in the sand.
You don't want to touch them not because they bite, but because the bristles can irritate your skin if you get stuck by them.

IME - im my experience

They may look nasty, but the are a helpful part of a clean up crew.

Now can they just appear out of nowhere because i've had my tank for three months and i am now seeing tiny mini one on my glass crawling/ especially on the side of the sand where the the glass and sand meet.....

I see them mostly around the rock but have seen some burrows along the tank's glass. I agree, I consider them a great addition to my clean up crew.

They're nasty! How do I get rid of them?

get i copperband and it will all be gone in minutes thats what i did. and now i love my copperband. but it will eat all your mini feather duster too if you have them.

And it may starve like mine did. I could not get mine to eat anything other than dusters and aiptasia....Just be careful and make sure it is eating prepared food from your LFS (ask them to feed it).
I haven't seen mine eat bristleworms either. Are you sure you aren't thinking of wrasses?

I know they also make traps for them but as stated above they are good janitors for your tank.

They can and will dig down into the sand. For the most part though they will be found in and about your rocks. If you turn a rock over in the tank you will see several of them. They do pack a nasty sting but they are great at what they do and that is eating left over stuff.

And it may starve like mine did. I could not get mine to eat anything other than dusters and aiptasia....Just be careful and make sure it is eating prepared food from your LFS (ask them to feed it).
I haven't seen mine eat bristleworms either. Are you sure you aren't thinking of wrasses?

yes i am sure mine is a copperband it finish all the bristle worm from my tank in about 30 mins but like you said just make sure you ask the seller to feed the fish just to make sure it is eating cause its hard to get these guys to start eating but i never experienced this myself just heard of it.

you can also try a raccoon butterfly they seem to work on bristle's to my bro just got one but im gonna take it back because its nipping at my poylps

The name bristle worm is a label loosely applied to describe all Polychaete class marine worms, but it is members of the Fire worms Amphinomidae family that have earned the name of being what most aquarists consider to be true bristle worms. These Fire worms are errant carnivores that can cause much damage in a reef tank. They bare toxic bristles on their bodies that can inflict a sting of a very painful degree, posses strong jaws for feeding, and can reproduce quite rapidly. Many people will not be aware of their importance because they are almost exclusively marine creatures. They are extremely abundant. Mud dwelling forms are the main food of many shore birds.
-------------------
Rachelle

Guaranteed ROI

Hmmmmm, I disagree on the fireworm remarks. Of the 100+ species of Amphinomidae, most are beneficial scavengers among few actual predatory and/or parasitic. They technically don't even have jaws, but their pharynx contains a rasp-like appendage or even "tongue." From what I understand, most of the corralivores come from the Atlantic.

Welcome to the site!
I agree with James, the true problem causers do have ripping/griping jaws for catching and killing prey. Most common tank hitch hikers are of the type that are carnivores but more of the (bah, it's been a long day.....carrion/scavanger types....sorry I couldn't come up with the name)....
slinks off to bed.

Back
Top Bottom