Bristle Worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeefan1222

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi was just wondering if these are bristle worms (sorry about the picture quality had to use my phone) and if they are should I leave them be or try to get rid of them thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 81
They do look like bristle worms, and I would try to get rid of them.

Welcome to AA! :)

The pics are hard to be sure. As long as they aren't fire worms, you're good. If they are in fact bristleworms, I'd personally keep them. You might want to move them to a sump if you have one, but they are good detrivores and, IMO, good for your system health.

As already stated, they act as a cleanup crew, and feed on leftover foods, and stuff that builds up in the tank. They pretty good to have, but would be better in a sump.

Ok thanks for the replys I really appreciate it but worse case scenario if they are fire worms what are the negative effects cause I have had these worms for a couple months would I have noticed anything by now? thanks

Fireworms are carnivores that eat corals, snails, crabs, starfish or other worms,

And fireworms have built-in traps that effectively catch prey wherever they find it. The front end of the worm looks rounded and harmless, like an earthworm. But when a fireworm sees something to eat, it rapidly everts its throat, which bears two sharp jaws inside. These jaws seize the prey, and then the worm retracts its throat, pulling the food inside.

Got this from some site. So fireworms are bad in all cases and will eat your fish, inverts, and corals.

Fireworms are carnivores that eat corals, snails, crabs, starfish or other worms,

And fireworms have built-in traps that effectively catch prey wherever they find it. The front end of the worm looks rounded and harmless, like an earthworm. But when a fireworm sees something to eat, it rapidly everts its throat, which bears two sharp jaws inside. These jaws seize the prey, and then the worm retracts its throat, pulling the food inside.

Got this from some site. So fireworms are bad in all cases and will eat your fish, inverts, and corals.

Wow, that sounds wicked. In my opinion i think that they look like bristle worms. But just in case you could put them in your sump and toss a feeder shrimp in there and watch and see what it does when the shrimp goes toward it.

My problem with that pic is I think the fireworms do have those big white tufts on them. I`ll have to do more research on them

Back
Top Bottom